× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting MS510TXPP to XS505M via AXM761 SFP+

jeremy-s
Aspirant

Connecting MS510TXPP to XS505M via AXM761 SFP+

Hi,

I've got a MS510TXPP and I'm trying to connect it to an XS505M via two AXM761 SFP+ modules.

I've got an existing fiber cable ran between two locations.  The cable I've got running between the two is OM2 50/125 Duplex w/ SC connectors and it's 425FT long.  I'm currently using a TRENDnet TFC-110MSC to connect between the two points but I've reached link capacity and am having trouble with dropped packets.  I believe the fiber cable to be good because the link on the TRENDnet works.

With the two Netgear switches on either end, I plug in the AXM761 SFP+ modules and can see the light on the Tx side so I believe the modules are both working.  I'm using an SC/LC adapter cable on either end.  I can still see the light with the adapter connected.  When I connect them I get nothing, no LED's on either switch.  My guess is the 'polarity' should be Tx on one side to Rx on the other.  I've tried it both ways and still get nothing.  I can go back to the TRENDnet and it connects and works fine.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?  I'm stumped.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jeremy-s
Aspirant

FWIW, AXM763 fixed it.  The standard range module didn't have enough for that long of a run but the long range module works fine.  👍

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The reach of 10 GbE laser modules over OM2 is limited to about ~80 meters only. 

https://community.fs.com/blog/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-multimode-fiber.html

Message 2 of 4
jeremy-s
Aspirant

I was suspicious of the link length so I did some further reading last night.

The AXM761 lists a link length of 108' with 62.5/125 OM1/OM2 cable.  The OM2 cable I have is 50/125, but maybe that 108' is still the limit, even with 50/125?

The AXM763 might be the solution.  It's listed as 10Gig for 722ft on 62.5/125 OM1/OM2 multimode.

Think the AXM763 is the ticket?

Message 3 of 4
jeremy-s
Aspirant

FWIW, AXM763 fixed it.  The standard range module didn't have enough for that long of a run but the long range module works fine.  👍

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements