× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting multiple GS752TPP

mjjafari
Follower

Connecting multiple GS752TPP

I need some basic understanding on the correct way of connecting multiple GS752TPP together.

on the router (Draytek Vigor 2952) I have 4 gigabit LAN ports and I'm faced with below options

I've done a bit of a search but cannot find an article that explains pro and cons of each option 

Basically its a bing home setup with one router but many clients (about 150) due to complex home automation equipments

in this project I need to have 4 x 48 port switches to cover all my devices , what should I do ?

1. Do I connect each switch to each LAN port of the router ?
  2. Do I daisy chain my switches ? (Port 48 to port 1 on the next one )
  3. Do I use the fibre uplink ports ? (How do I set this up? )

Thansk in advance !

Model: GS752TPP|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (760W)
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connecting multiple GS752TPP

@mjjafari,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

1. Do I connect each switch to each LAN port of the router ?

Yes, you can do this.  You can just connect each of the GS752TPP to the LAN ports of your Draytek Vigor 2952 router.  

Does your Draytek Vigor 2952 router supports VLAN?  If yes, then you can assign a VLAN to each of the 4 LAN ports.  Then, connect a GS752TPP to each of the LAN port.

2. Do I daisy chain my switches ? (Port 48 to port 1 on the next one )

Yes you can also do this.  Be informed that you can daisy chain or cascade a number of GS752TPP switches because there is no limit on it.  However, the good practice would be up to 2-3 switches daisy chained.  Its because the more switch that you daisy chain will add latency on the network.

It would be best that you connect your GS752TPP switches using LAG preferably LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol).  Here are the advantages of having LACP configured between the GS752TPP switches:

1.  Even if one physical links fails, it will detect if the point-to-point connection is using a media converter, so that the link status at the switching port remains up. Because LACPDUs (Link Aggregation Control Protocol Data Units) do not form a component of this connection, the link will be removed from the link aggregate. This ensures that packets will not be lost due to the failed link.

2.  Both of the devices can mutually confirm the LAG configuration. Errors in the configuration or wiring will be detected.

3. Do I use the fibre uplink ports ? (How do I set this up? )

Yes, you can also do this.  Be informed that this is commonly used when two switches are over the 100 meters distance limitation of ethernet, then you connect using fiber via the SFP port.  For the GS752TPP switch, you will need to use either of the compatible SFP modules as listed below :

a. AGM731F SFP transceiver 1000BASE-SX, SFP short-reach multimode LC GBIC

b. AGM732F SFP transceiver 1000BASE-LX, SFP long-reach multimode LC GBIC

c. AGM734 SFP transceiver 1000BASE-T, SFP copper RJ-45 GBIC

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation