× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Energy Efficient Ethernet support at 2,5/5 GbE

MLandowski
Aspirant

Energy Efficient Ethernet support at 2,5/5 GbE

With devices from competing vendors we ran into an issue where Energy Efficient Ethernet would work only at 1 Gbps link speed, even though switch supported higher speeds. Do Netgear switches have a similar limitation? (I'm particularly interested in XS724EM model) I couldn't find any mention of such in the manual, but it was also the case with other vendors.

Model: XS724EM|24 Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Energy Efficient Ethernet support at 2,5/5 GbE

@MLandowski wrote:

With devices from competing vendors we ran into an issue where Energy Efficient Ethernet would work only at 1 Gbps link speed, even though switch supported higher speeds. Do Netgear switches have a similar limitation?

Provide more information about the use case, the test, and the effects you have seen with the competitor devices (detals like make/model are always interesting).

The XS728EM online help says:

===

EEE - Combines the Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) 802.3 MAC sublayer with the 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, 2.5GBASE-T, 5GBASE-T and 10GBASE-T physical layers to support operation in Low Power Idle (LPI) mode. When LPI mode is enabled, systems on both sides of the link can disable portions of their functionality and save power during periods of low link utilization. 
===

We have EEE enabled on the XS724EM, and haven't spotted any negative impact. Switch-to-switch connections with LAGs on 10 GbE links, NAS with dual 10 GbE LAG, and clients on 2.5G or 5G. 

Trouble is that the Smart Managed Plus have very limited management and monitoring capabilities - it might be hard to see and proof that the ports are entering the LPI mode.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@MLandowski wrote:

With devices from competing vendors we ran into an issue where Energy Efficient Ethernet would work only at 1 Gbps link speed, even though switch supported higher speeds. Do Netgear switches have a similar limitation?

Provide more information about the use case, the test, and the effects you have seen with the competitor devices (detals like make/model are always interesting).

The XS728EM online help says:

===

EEE - Combines the Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) 802.3 MAC sublayer with the 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, 2.5GBASE-T, 5GBASE-T and 10GBASE-T physical layers to support operation in Low Power Idle (LPI) mode. When LPI mode is enabled, systems on both sides of the link can disable portions of their functionality and save power during periods of low link utilization. 
===

We have EEE enabled on the XS724EM, and haven't spotted any negative impact. Switch-to-switch connections with LAGs on 10 GbE links, NAS with dual 10 GbE LAG, and clients on 2.5G or 5G. 

Trouble is that the Smart Managed Plus have very limited management and monitoring capabilities - it might be hard to see and proof that the ports are entering the LPI mode.

Message 2 of 3
MLandowski
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately company I work for has very strict secrecy policies, so I'm not able to discuss full scenario, but it's mostly about compliance. Looks like XS724EM indeed supports EEE at 5G, so it should be ok for us, I should be be able to verify it on the endpoint side.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements