× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS110EMX uplink to XS505M only 5gbit

millhaus
Initiate

GS110EMX uplink to XS505M only 5gbit

(Sorry for the double post, I just realized I chose the wrong forum managed switches yesterday and can't delete my post now 🙁

Could a mod please close/delete the other? ->https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/GS110EMX-uplink-to-XS505M-only-5gbit/m-p/2349032/h...)

Hello everybody! 👋

Model: GS110EMX, Firmware: 1.0.2.7

My problem:

• If I connect my 10G TB3 ethernet adapter (on the 2nd floor of our house) to the unmanaged X505M (in the basement, approx 20m Cat6 cable house wiring), I get a speed of about 9.7 Gbit (measured with iperf3 both to a QNAP NAS and a NUC) -> fine 🎉
  • If I connect my 10G TB3 ethernet adapter to the GS110EMX, the port is in 10G Mode (both green LED flashing) -> fine 🎉
  • But if I connect the GS110EMX via Cat6a cable to the wall RJ45 socket which is connected to the XS505M, this uplink port is only in 5G Mode 🙄 (only one green LED flashing and according to the web gui tab 'port status'). Speed is set to 'Auto'.

I tried to change the speed setting of the uplink port from Auto to 10G, but the web interface only offers options up to 100M Full Duplex (why is that? 😕)

Anyone an idea why I get only 5G uplink? It can't be the house cabling, because I get almost full 10Gbit when plugging my 10g adapter directly into the walls' RJ45 socket 🤔

Is there a CLI interface to this switch (ssh or telnet console etc) to manually config port settings?

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@millhaus wrote:

I tried to change the speed setting of the uplink port from Auto to 10G, but the web interface only offers options up to 100M Full Duplex (why is that? 😕)

For copper link speeds starting from 1000Mb/s and up, auto negotiation is mandatory.

Quickly looped-in an XS505M in the uplink to an XS728T on the almost two decades old in-house installation (yes, all CAT6A modules on some qualified 980 MHz cabling) - about 35 meters including patch cables - the XS505M does show two green LEDs on both ports. Here the GS110EMX with the port #10 looped through the XS505M on 2 meter patch cord:

GS220EMX 10 GbE ports loop XS505M.PNG

Message 2 of 3
millhaus
Initiate

Thx for your reply 🙂

I just managed to solve the issue:

I don't know much about networking, somehow there was one hop (sort of, not in a routing meaning) too many on the way between the two switches -> house cabling plus three patch panels, but all in two neigboured racks, so I just re-wired an ugly shortcut from the XS505M directly to the first patch panel which connects the upstairs rooms), and it gets the expected 10G 🎉

I got confused because using my TB3 10G adapter directly (without the GS110EMX inbetween) worked fine, and it seems like adding the switch was one step too many.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements