× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS748Tv4 fans are not dead

mykdelta
Follower

GS748Tv4 fans are not dead

I have a GS748Tv5 of which the fans are never spinning. The switch works fine. But obviously after a while it gets overheated and the switch spontaneously reboots. Or halts. I tested the fans manually by applying 12 volts on the red and black wire and they both worked fine. I upped the fw and put the switch the factory settings. I inspected the PCB and there are not burnt or suspicous state of components. The weirdest thing is: in the web if, in systems -> fans it says the fans are always ok, even if the fan connectors are disconnected.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: GS748Tv4 fans are not dead

You might need to rig up some external fans on the out side of the case to help on this while you troubleshoot this. 

I bought some small fans off amazon and connected them to a 5v USB power adapter. Got some small screws and small donut round size magnets to attach to the fans. Then Fans just stick to the side of the switch case. 

Seems like if a factory reset and FW update has been performed, something else maybe at fault on the board or in the system that is not operating the internal fans correctly. Unit could be going bad maybe.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements