× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS516PE - Which VLAN does the switch management interface sit on? Switch DHCP client & management?

AeonJJ
Aspirant

JGS516PE - Which VLAN does the switch management interface sit on? Switch DHCP client & management?

This is a 16 port switch. I want two port based VLANs; production traffic and management of the switch. 

I have "Production" as VLAN 2 and uses ports 1-15

I have "Management" as VLAN 1 and uses port 16.

Will the switch attempt to DHCP and offer management interface on both VLANs? Just VLAN 1?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: JGS516PE - Which VLAN does the switch management interface sit on? Switch DHCP client & mana

Everywhere, because there is no managed core with a VLAN-aware controller. A tiny uC (8051 class) does implement the Netgear Switch Discovery Protocol (NSDP), and a very restricted TFTP, and a simple Web UI. Any non-tagged traffic flowing through the switch is considered, so the DHCP address assigned could end on any VLAN.  

Message 2 of 4
AeonJJ
Aspirant

Re: JGS516PE - Which VLAN does the switch management interface sit on? Switch DHCP client & mana

That's kind of crazy, isn't it. Wouldn't it have to select a single port to issue the request? Default to Port 1? It can't be sending out a DHCP request on all ports. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Ports are irrelevant in this design, in fact on almost all Plus switches. Technically, al these are unmanaged switches, with some configuration level features. Few exceptions, are built on managed cores.

The same applies to the IGMP Multicast implementation: The uC does "listen" to all traffic flowing through the switch.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements