× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardware selection assistance

CLTBWC
Aspirant

Hardware selection assistance

I have a connection going from SRX5308 to the FS728.  I have a NAS connected to the FS728, IP Cameras, and I'm trying to increase the throughput of the NAS by connecting this device and the FS728 to a GB switch.

So I'm asking, Does it make sense to connect the SRX5308 to a new GS110TPP and then connect the FS728 to the GS110TPP?  In addition, connect my NAS to the GS110TPP to obtain GB speed for the NAS hoping I can improve read/write to the NAS from the devies on the FS728.

Thanks!!

Brian

Model: FS728TPv1|28-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet PoE Smart Managed Pro Switch with 24 PoE Ports, SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Hardware selection assistance

@CLTBWC,

I don't think that it will work if you still connect most of your devices to the FS728 because it is only running on 100MB. I suggest, moving all of the devices to a gigabit connection for higher speed. Just make sure that the devices that are going to connect also support the gigabit connection.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
CLTBWC
Aspirant

Thanks John!!  So purchased a purchased a GS110TPP.  Connected the SRX5308 to the GS110TP uplink 9 port.  Then connected the FS728TP uplink 25 port to the GS110TP uplink 10 port.  Now my two switches and router are connected with GB trunks.  Then I connected my server and NAS device to the GS110TP ports 8 and 7 respectively and configured both NIC's for GB.  It seems to have solved my files speed transfer issues.  But the results of the Server are mixed.  When I'm connecting to the FS728TP switch I thgough at GB speed, the task manager shows the enternet card only reaching 100MB.  When a file is transferred to the NAS, it shows 500MB max.  I forced the server NIC to GB full duplex, but does not seem to change the results.

The ports on both switches say they are connected at GB speed.  thoughts?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@CLTBWC wrote:

When I'm connecting to the FS728TP switch I thgough at GB speed, the task manager shows the enternet card only reaching 100MB.

The FS728TP has only two dedicated plus two shared Gigabit ports. Only on these ports the link can be Gigabit or 1000 Mb/s, all other ports are Fast Ethernet only.

@CLTBWC wrote:

When a file is transferred to the NAS, it shows 500MB max.

This number isn't a network bottleneck, either the NAS or the testing system might not be able to handle faster data transfers.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements