× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to improve Netgear switch GS728TP from loop

Netal01
Initiate

How to improve Netgear switch GS728TP from loop

Hello team,

I need a suggestion how to improve configuration on Netgear Prosafe GS728TP-200 EUS switch in order to protect from loop.

I am working on a project and the company has a Mikrotik as gateway and behind the Mikrotik use an ASA firewall (in which is configured only LAN vlan and i do not have access in the firewall).

The company has a Voip server(only for internal use) for which there is no vlan in firewall, but i have configured a VOIP vlan in the Netgear GS728TP.

Pratically, in the Netgear GS728TP i have configured:

vlan 10 -> LAN

vlan 20 -> VOIP: 192.168.0.1

vlan 90 -> Management 192.168.90.1

Switch static IP: 192.168.1.200 

and i have configured "Vlan Routing" for vlan 20(Voip) and vlan 90(Management).

The problem is that the flow in this switch sometimes does not work well, and the switch turns off any specific port (preventing loop).

I have enabled "RSTP" in the NEtgear switch.

I have also enabled "Forward BDPU while STP Disabled", but the switch sometimes continue to turn off 1 or 2 ports.

I know it might be DHCP problem, but i need a suggestion what can i do in order to improve Netgear configuration preventing it from turning off the ports of switch? 

Do i need to try activating "L2 Loop Protection" , or do i need to disable RSTP before activating "L2 Loop Protection" ?

If i remove the static IP address from the switch and configure it as DHCP (and also configure a U port as management vlan), can this facilitate the network flow and stopping this kind of issue?

*This kind of loop does not happen because someone may be putting cable in the office and creating these issues

Before configuring this managed Netgear switch, in that company they were using unamanaged Cisco switches and there was no loop.

That`s why i need your suggestions if am i doing anything wrong and what can i do to improve the configuration in the Netgear switch in order to avoid this kind of issue.

Kindly waiting your suggestions.

Thank You in advance!

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to improve Netgear switch GS728TP from loop

As replied before on the very similar subject here

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos