× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Inter-VLAN routing MS510TXUP

BertAnsink
Guide

Inter-VLAN routing MS510TXUP

Good day,

I am using a Netgear MS510TXUP multi gigabit switch. (not the MX510TXPP as selected in model, but can't select the MS510TXUP)

I am trying to use the VLAN routing functions, but with limited succes.

I have routing enabled.

If I use 2 VLANs:

VLAN1 = 196.168.1.0/24 with Interface 192.168.1.100

VLAN20 = 196.168.20.0/24 with interface 196.168.20.1

From a computer connected to VLAN1, 192.168.1.3, I can ping the interface of VLAN20 (192.168.20.1) but I cannot ping a computer on VLAN20 (192.168.20.2)

PC in VLAN1 has default gateway set to 192.168.1.100

PC in VLAN20 has default gateway set to 192.168.20.1

192.168.20.2 does show up in the ARP table of the switch. A static route is automatically added on the switch, pointing to 192.168.20.0

Is there something else I need to do to get inter-VLAN routing to work on this switch?

Model: MS510TXPP|8-port PoE+ Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 1 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BertAnsink,

Let me share the articles below and these might help as reference guides:

VLAN Routing on Smart Switches

VLAN Routing on a NETGEAR Smart Switch

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

Hi @DaneA ,

Sorry for the late response, I have been away from home for a while so only had time to dig into this again now.

The documents you posted post what I already did. I have set up the VLAN's and the routing table has the static routes, also the router.

I can not for the life of me get it to route between VLAN's, or acces the router/internet from any vlan except the one where the router sits on. I can ping the interface IP of the other VLAN, but then it stops there.

Is there any special setting I need for acces control?

I set the managment VLAN to another (99) but that is also of no help.

Message 3 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BertAnsink,

I apologize for the late response.  :catsad: 

It would help if you post a diagram of your current network setup as well as the configuration you did and from there, the community members might be able to comment their suggestions and recommendations.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BertAnsink 

Have you checked the firewall settings on the PCs? Traffic from other subnets than the one they are on may be blocked.

As for the Internet access, have you defined the necessary static route on the router for the other subnet? I guess your router is in the 196.168.1.0/24 subnet so the route should be 196.168.20.0/24,  next hop 192.168.1.100. This is for replies from Internet.

Message 5 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

@DaneA and @Retired_Member 

The firewalls were switched off at both PC's.

Also the network is relatively flat, router (XR700) connected to one of the SFP+ ports and all clients to the other ports of the switch.

I think I might have solved the issue in the mean time though.

I tried it again but but with different VLAN's, VLAN60 and VLAN99. And that seems to work.

It seems that it simply does not want to route over the default VLAN (VLAN1) can this be the case?

Thanks for the help so far.

Message 6 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BertAnsink 

I own a MS510TX and a MS510TXPP. Setting inter-VLAN routing is very simple there. The only thing that needs to be done is to enable the 'Routing Mode' and define VLAN interfaces in 'VLAN Routing Configuration'. I do not use any wizards. I did not change the management VLAN. I have my Internet router in VLAN1, but I do not have any endpoint devices in there except for my management PC. All my endpoint devices are in the other three VLANs.

Message 7 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

@Retired_Member 

That's what I also thought but for me it didn't work when doing the same. The switch actually enables the static routes automatically when a device is detected on the specified VLAN so that should be in order.

I also set static routes in the router and wasn't able to ping that from other VLAN's other than 1. On VLAN1, I can ping the router when I set gateway 192.168.1.1 but not if I go via the VLAN interface, 192.168.1.100.

I don't know how different the firmware for a MS510TX/TXPP is compared to a MX510TXM/TXUP but afaik they should have pretty much identical features.

Message 8 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BertAnsink 

Well, based on your original post and the similarity of the names between my and your MS510TXes, I've made an assumption that MS510TXUP is a routing switch as my MS510TX and MS510TXPP. That might've been wrong.

I've just looked at the datasheet for MS510TXUP and I see no routing feature listed there. Moreover the firmware version of MS510TXUP is totally different from the firmware version of MS510TX/MS510TXPP. However it is the same as the firmware version of my other NETGEAR switch GS308T and GS308T is not a routing switch.

I do not own a MS510TXUP so I can't really tell. However, if MS510TXUP is not a routing switch, you need a VLAN-aware router or a routing switch for inter-VLAN routing or even to access Internet from VLANs other than your current router is on. 

Message 9 of 11
BertAnsink
Guide

@Retired_Member 

Weird.

I thought it was similar, the MS510TXUP is the beefed up version of MS510TXPP and pretty sure I read that it did support routing.

I also went over the datasheet again just now and can't see the routing part like you.

We do have the options in the menu as per attached screenshot.

I checked the firmware also:

GS308T = 1.0.5.5

MS510TXPP = 6.7.0.51

MS510TXUP = 1.0.5.5

Also the website states that it should support VLAN routing, scroll down to technical specifications:

https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/switches/smart/ms510txup/

Confusing really. My firmware is also outdated, need to update to 1.0.5.5 while I am on 1.0.4.2 

Maybe they have actually removed the feature. I am off location for a week but need to update it and spend some more time on it.

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Appears VLAN routing capabilities went lost for the L2+/Lite L3 Services specs on the Data Sheet MS510TXM, MS510TXUP . It exists on the product, it is fully documented on the 8-Port Multi-Gigabit/10G Ethernet (Ultra60 PoE++) Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports (GS510T....

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements