× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low read speeds with ASUS XG-C100C 10gbe connected to Synology via XS716E

hkolind
Aspirant

Low read speeds with ASUS XG-C100C 10gbe connected to Synology via XS716E

I am having trouble getting fast read speeds from our Synology rs3617xs+ using the ASUS XG-C100C 10gbe NIC.

I am getting write speeds in the 4-500 MB/s range (which is what the internal SSD is specced at), but my read speed from the NAS is at less than 10 MB/s. Using the built in 1Gb NIC on the motherboard I'm getting the expected 100+ MB/s read and write.

I've upgraded the firmware on the switch, have the latest drivers on the PC running the latest version of windows10 and tried disabling flow control which seemed to have helped others.

The switch regocnises the connection as 10Gb.

The NAS is connected to port 13+14 in LAG.

Any ideas as to what might cause the problem?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Low read speeds with ASUS XG-C100C 10gbe connected to Synology via XS716E

@hkolind wrote:

The XS716E has to LAGs: ports 13+14 has LAG ID1 and ports 15+16 has LAG ID2 - I can't change anything in the configuration as far as I can see.

Just in case - not mixed the two LAG port sets for the NAS connection by mishap?

@hkolind wrote:

The Synology is currently set to "Balance XOR". Other options are "Adaptive Load Balancing", "IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Configuration" and "Active/Standby". I'm hardly a networking pro - so any tips are more than welcome.

Balance-XOR should be fine against the static LAG configured.

To exclude the trunking/LAG from the equation (and taking the fact some other users have reported certain issues), please give a try to 

- temporarily reconfigure the bond on the NAS to "Active/Standby" and retry,
- temporarily remove the bond config on the NAS, and use just one network link to a switch port (within the same VLAN of course) not configured as a LAG, and retry.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@hkolind wrote:

The NAS is connected to port 13+14 in LAG.

Had two early XG-C100C samples in place with two computers while testing the XS716E, but not expereinced issues back then. 

What LAG config is in place on the Syno and on the XS716E?

Edit: When I have it right, the XS728Ev2/XS716E only allow the config of static LAG, so the only workable bonding config on a Linux based system can be Balance-XOR or Balance-RR/Round-Robin.

Message 2 of 5
hkolind
Aspirant

The XS716E has to LAGs: ports 13+14 has LAG ID1 and ports 15+16 has LAG ID2 - I can't change anything in the configuration as far as I can see.

The Synology is currently set to "Balance XOR". Other options are "Adaptive Load Balancing", "IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Configuration" and "Active/Standby". I'm hardly a networking pro - so any tips are more than welcome.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@hkolind wrote:

Just in case - not mixed the two LAG port sets for the NAS connection by mishap?

@hkolind wrote:

To exclude the trunking/LAG from the equation (and taking the fact some other users have reported certain issues), please give a try to 

- temporarily remove the bond config on the NAS, and use just one network link to a switch port (within the same VLAN of course) not configured as a LAG, and retry.

Message 4 of 5
hkolind
Aspirant

Double checked, and no mix-ups there 🙂

I tried disabling the LAG, and then it all worked. Then I re-enabled the bond on the NAS and used "active/standby" and it all still worked. Then I went back to "Balance XOR" just to see if that would break it again - but it kept working. So as far as I can tell, all the settings are the same as they were before, but now it's working... I'm none the wiser, but the problem is gone. That's both a relief and frustrating at the same time 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements