× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS510TXM - password policy?

scsirob
Tutor

MS510TXM - password policy?

I own a number of netgear switches in my isolated home lab. There is no way to connect to this network from the outside and nobody else is on it, therefor I do not require complex logins. For simplicity reasons I have a standard password on all switches.

As I expand into 10GbE, I bought a MS510TXM. Besides the silly 'you *must* register' saga, this switch now forces an arbitrary, Netgear-chosen password complexity policy on me. My standard password is rejected. How can this policy be disabled?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: MS510TXM - password policy?

Nice try 8-)  

however, fact is that more and more products enforce these kind of security policies, regardless of the operation location. And yes, i'm in the same boat, not that happy about the design change (which undoubted has some good ideas).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

There is no official o documented way to disable the password and it's change policy.

The reason for all this is related to the fact that Netgear likes to continue selling products in the State of California. 

FMI: SB-327 Information privacy: connected devices.(2017-2018) 

Message 2 of 4
scsirob
Tutor

Interesting.. Dare I ask if there is an undocumented non-official way to make the switch behave like I want to, considering I'm 8900km away from California and not bound to US law?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Nice try 8-)  

however, fact is that more and more products enforce these kind of security policies, regardless of the operation location. And yes, i'm in the same boat, not that happy about the design change (which undoubted has some good ideas).

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements