× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

S3300 inter-VLAN Routing Issue

crawbles
Aspirant

S3300 inter-VLAN Routing Issue

I have just purchase an S3300-28X and S3300-52X and am getting to grips with all the features. Most features seem pretty straight forward so far, but I'm having real issues setting up inter-VLAN routing. I've been unsuccessfully banging my head against the wall for a few days now, so hopefully someone here will be able to shine some light on where I'm going wrong.

I've factory-reset the S3300-28X and setup a simple configuration for testing:

VLAN10

Interface IP: 10.0.10.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

VLAN20

Interface IP: 10.0.20.1

Port 1/g14

PVID: 10

VLAN Member: 10

VLAN Tag: None

Port 1/g16

PVID: 20

VLAN Member: 20

VLAN Tag: None

I initially setup the VLANs with the routing wizard, selecting the appropriate tags as untagged. After checking the PVID configuration I connected a workstation to each port with the following manual IP settings:

Workstation (1/g14)

IP Address: 10.0.10.123

Default Gateway: 10.0.10.1

Workstation (1/g16)

IP Address: 10.0.20.123

Default Gateway: 10.0.20.1

Each workstation can ping default gateways on either VLAN, but the workstations cannot ping one-another. I feel like I've tried every possible setting in the PVID Configuration sections but nothing seems to work.

So, could someone please suggest where I've gone wrong or what I should try next? Thanks!

Model: S3300-28X (GS728TX)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
crawbles
Aspirant

Re: S3300 inter-VLAN Routing Issue

I managed to solve the issue!

It turns out Windows Firewall blocks network traffic from different subnets by default. This being my first foray into VLAN's, I was so convinced I'd configured something incorrectly that I neglected to explore other potential causes.

If anyone else having the same issue comes across this, there's a TechNet article which explains how to create an ICMP rule which will allow inbound traffic from another subnet.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Crawbles,

Welcome to NETGEAR community!Smiley Happy

Your configuration is correct for inter-VLAN routing.

But S3300 is a smart switch and the inter-VLAN routing function disabled by default.

So maybe you need to enable ‘IP routing’ as following screenshot again try again.

s3300_routing.png

May the solution help you.Smiley Happy

Model: S3300-28X (GS728TX)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches
Message 2 of 4
crawbles
Aspirant

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Smiley Happy

I already have IP routing enabled as per your screenshot, but still not having any success. I've taken some screenshots of my configuration; hopefully you'll be able to spot where I've gone wrong.

03. Routing IP Configuration.PNG04. Routing VLAN Configuration.PNG05. Routing Routing Table.PNG01. VLAN Configuration.PNG02. Port PVID Configuration.PNG

Here are the IP settings for the workstation on VLAN10. The workstation on VLAN20 is the same, but with the IP and Gateway set to 10.0.20.x instead.

IPV4 Properties.PNG

The workstations can both ping either of the VLAN interfaces (10.0.x.1), which leads me to believe that inter-VLAN routing is working to an extent. But the workstations are unable to ping each other.

Message 3 of 4
crawbles
Aspirant

I managed to solve the issue!

It turns out Windows Firewall blocks network traffic from different subnets by default. This being my first foray into VLAN's, I was so convinced I'd configured something incorrectly that I neglected to explore other potential causes.

If anyone else having the same issue comes across this, there's a TechNet article which explains how to create an ICMP rule which will allow inbound traffic from another subnet.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements