× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Secure connection between two MS510TX

billiloumez
Aspirant

Secure connection between two MS510TX

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning on moving all of my servers and NAS systems from my appartment to the basement. There already is a Cat 7 cable leading from my apartment to a socket in the "tech room" in the basement. From there, I want to install a cable going to my own basement room.

Now I'd just put one MS510TX in my apartment and another one in my basement room and connect both via 10G on port 9. So far, so good. What worries me is the connection in the tech room in the basement, because the room is not locked. So anyone could just walk in, disconnect my cable and connect something in between.

Is there any way to securely connect both switches? My idea is, that both switches somehow authenticate against each other and only if they have a direct and secure connection with nothing in between, there would be any data transfer. Is this possible?

Thanks and regards,

Stefan

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Secure connection between two MS510TX

Stefan,

@billiloumez wrote:

What worries me is the connection in the tech room in the basement, because the room is not locked. So anyone could just walk in, disconnect my cable and connect something in between.

Information security does start at the physical access level. 

@billiloumez wrote:

Is there any way to securely connect both switches?

Yes, there are - but these are off $$$ reach for most home, SOHO, or even SMB users. https://www.crypto.com/ -> LINK ENCRYPTION ETHERNET HC-8555 10G  8-)

@billiloumez wrote:

My idea is, that both switches somehow authenticate against each other and only if they have a direct and secure connection with nothing in between, there would be any data transfer. Is this possible?

Anything is possible, however there is nothing in the industry standards for Ethernet interconnections. 802.1x port auth is for edge connectivity only.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements