× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up 2 VLANs but more complicated than that

danyael
Tutor

Setting up 2 VLANs but more complicated than that

Greetings.

I have 13 total switches and all but 2 are configured and working.  The last 2 are kind of tricky.

The 2 switches in question are GC510PP (8 port with 2 SFP ports) & GC728XP (24 port with 4 SFP ports).

The 24 port switch is in our MDF.  The 8 port is about 1200 feet away in the warehouse.  We only have 1 fiber connection available.

We have OA switches that I do not have access to.  Those are for the Domain computers, phones, AP's, etc..  

These 13 Netgear switches are for a private lan for our new PoE security cameras.  In the warehouse we have 3 PoE cameras that need to be on the private network; we also have a "resort team" that works out there and they need a PC, printer, VoIP phone, and in the future maybe an AP.

The domain switches do not use any type of special switch configuration.  Example, if I plug a dumb switch into one of the domain switches I can plug a PC, printer, etc.. into that dumb switch and get a Domain IP.

I don't know how to configure these 2 switches to allow both types of networks over that 1 fiber connection.  

I had a similar situation in our Guardhouse but I was lucky there as I had 2 home runs back to our MDF (so I was able to utilize each one as a trunk, 1 for the domain and 1 for the private lan).

My setup now is as follows:

GC510PP 

Ports 1-4 VLAN 1 

Ports 5-8 VLAN 80 (our private LAN for security cameras)

Port 10 - Fiber SFP Trunk

GC728XP

Most of the ports are for VLAN 80

I have Port 25 set up for the Trunk Port (to the GC510PP).  I've tried PVID 80, PVID 1, neither work.

In the Guardhouse switch (another GC510PP), I just did not set up any special configurations for ports 1-4 + port 9 and using port 9 as the trunk port back to a domain switch, that made ports 1-4 receive domain IP's.

Port 10 was the Trunk back to the GC728XP switch, VLAN 80, and ports 5-8 VLAN 80 are for the private network.  

That works without a hitch.... but this darn warehouse switch. ha ha ha

Does anyon have any ideas they can float to me or suggestions?  This is probably "kid stuff" for many of you I'm sure.  Thanks!

Model: GC510PP|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ High-Power App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

What about adding a pair of inexpensive passive CWDM Mux Demux, in combination with a pair of SFP or SFP+ modules with the mux specified colour modules for each link?

Be aware as the "other" network operator I would strongly disagree with many of your ideas, e.g. adding dumb switches, ... fully up to you, no responsibility by the poster here.

Message 2 of 9
danyael
Tutor

Thank you for the reply but I am unfamiliar with those devices.  I looked at a couple different types of models and the wording doesn't really say what they do, just their tech specs.  If I am reading those correctly, one unit splits 2 signals (using different wave lengths) using one fiber pair while a different unit combines those split signals?

That will allow me my 192.168.x.x and 10.x.x.x IP's over the 1 fiber cable?

As for your comment on the 'dumb switches'... I am unsure of what you mean.  Our networks are managed by a 3rd party vendor in a different country.  They don't typically allow 'unauthorized' switches on the networks but due to budgets, getting the right people involved, project coordinators, etc... sometimes you just have to make do with what you can do.  Some companies will not allow the spending thousands of dollars to get network connectivity for 1 person in a back office somewhere for 1 printer or comptuer, etc...  and the company I work for is on a ZBB (zero based budget)... and if you're not familiar with that... basically you start off with no money and you have to prove you 'need' XYZ... then corporate heads compile together and tell you what they 'think' when many of them have nothing short of a piece of paper that they memorized answers for the night before their final examination in order to pass.. but their piece of paper says they know how to run a multi billion dollar global corporation. lol  

It was so bad at the one of the businesses that the employees spent HOURS going through file drawers to get paper clips from old files no longer needed or to steal the manilla folders they were in because of ZBB they weren't allowed scotch tape, paper clips, push pins, etc.. and the employees refused to buy that stuff for the company (and rightfully so in my opinion)... but I have derailed in my tasks.. so I'll end it here.  🙂

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Permitting the fiber network is made on single mode fibers, eye....

@danyael wrote:

If I am reading those correctly, one unit splits 2 signals (using different wave lengths) using one fiber pair while a different unit combines those split signals?

Pure optics, physically these combine multiple wavelength lasers and filter-out a wave length on the receiving end. Again, don't forget you need SFP/SFP+ modules on each end handling the wave length for send and receive. Almost like a cable save for Ethernet - just for laser light - and much better!

That's the fun of doing systems and network integration business - especially if the locals are not helpful, because they see us as a competition - because we want to help....

Message 4 of 9
danyael
Tutor

Thanks for the recommendation!  I sent that company a message and they responded and yup, that's exactly what it does.  I had no idea that even existed. 🙂

I do have plenty of sfp/sfp+ LC fiber modules.  I planned this whole project out on paper and the only thing I wasn't sure of was the Guardhouse configuration and the DC Warehouse configuration (the 1200+ feet IDF).

I could have sworn it was possible to have 2 separate networks carried by one cable, whether it be copper or fiber... but maybe not with these switches?  I thought I read these (GC510PP & GC728XP) were Layer 3 switches but not TRUE layer 3.

I do have access to a Cisco 3570 PoE 24 port switch I could wipe and start from scratch but then I'd have to learn the Cisco programming.  I can console in and use hyper terminal / putty and do the basic commands but that is about my limit.... but I will say I downloaded the Cisco desktop program that lets you simulate building a Cisco network and you can add many of their switches and just like with a physical network, you have to 'virtually' turn them on and program them using the console commands.  You can even switch out HWIC cards for other cards, add modules, and such.  I wish Netgear had a similar app!

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@danyael wrote:

I do have plenty of sfp/sfp+ LC fiber modules. 

I could have sworn it was possible to have 2 separate networks carried by one cable, whether it be copper or fiber... but maybe not with these switches?  I thought I read these (GC510PP & GC728XP) were Layer 3 switches but not TRUE layer 3.

Of ocurse you can use one fiber pair and run multiple tagged VLANs over one link. To me it appers these two subnets belong to different owners - so again, as the other vendor or partner in the project, I would not like to have third party equipment in "my" data paths. 

Just like the unmanaged switches connected above.

@danyael wrote:

I do have plenty of sfp/sfp+ LC fiber modules. 

...probably fo the common industry standard wavelength only.

Message 6 of 9
danyael
Tutor

Hmmm, you are corect.  I bought the OEM Netgear modules for the switches... will those be OK for the switches?  Or do I need different ones?  The ones I bought are AGM731F and the 10Gbps AXM761

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Q1. Do you really need to share the single fiber pair with the local "domain" network, one for thier infrastructure, and one for your infrastructure? Then the colour mux can come into play.

Q2: With the color mux in play, each coloured connection must be equipped with laser modules matching the frequency (colour) as marked on the mux.

Message 8 of 9
danyael
Tutor

Hello,

Yes, we need to have the switch in the DC Warehouse IDF carry both the domain and local (private) networks.  Reason: There is only 1 fiber pair going from that area to our MDF (1200+ ft away).  It will cost anywhere from $8,000-16,000 USD to run new fiber, which the company will not pay for.  So we're left with 1 connection but need 2 networks. 😕

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements