× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stackability

pdjhh
Tutor

Stackability

As a bit of a newby to Netgear's SMB type switches (I've got plenty of Cisco experience) I'm finding it difficult to navigate the various smart managed, fully managed, smart managed pro type naming and the device names also don't make much sense to me at the outset. I quick rundown would be great but findamentaly I want to know if I can stack a couple of GS752TSB with a GS728TPSB. This will give me a nice number of 10/100/1000 ports along with a good set/tange of POE ports. The PSB switch says the uplink ports are 2.5G ports and I think the TSB is 10G. This all works together?

Thanks.

Model: GS728TPSB|ProSafe 28 ports gigabit stackable smart switch with PoE
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pdjhh

Welcome to the community! 🙂  

I want to know if I can stack a couple of GS752TSB with a GS728TPSB. This will give me a nice number of 10/100/1000 ports along with a good set/tange of POE ports. 

Yes, you can stack GS752TS with the GS728TPS.  Be reminded that you can stack up to 6 switches.  For example: you can stack 3 GS752TS with 3 GS728TPS or you can stack 2 GS752TS with 4 GS728TPS.  As reference, kindly read page 2 of the GS752TS / GS728TPS data sheet here under Performance Specifications.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
pdjhh
Tutor

Ok this is a bit dissapointing. My first experience with Netgear and I've got no support in the country, there's no dealer support at the moment, there's no business pre-sales anywhere and the support community is quiet as a mouse.

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pdjhh

Welcome to the community! 🙂  

I want to know if I can stack a couple of GS752TSB with a GS728TPSB. This will give me a nice number of 10/100/1000 ports along with a good set/tange of POE ports. 

Yes, you can stack GS752TS with the GS728TPS.  Be reminded that you can stack up to 6 switches.  For example: you can stack 3 GS752TS with 3 GS728TPS or you can stack 2 GS752TS with 4 GS728TPS.  As reference, kindly read page 2 of the GS752TS / GS728TPS data sheet here under Performance Specifications.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
pdjhh
Tutor

Thanks very much for your response. Can I just ask you while I"ve got you, essentially what is the difference between the slightly different modle families: smart managed plus, smart managed pro, smart managed plus click and fully managed?

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@pdjhh wrote:

I quick rundown would be great but findamentaly I want to know if I can stack a couple of GS752TSB with a GS728TPSB. This will give me a nice number of 10/100/1000 ports along with a good set/tange of POE ports. The PSB switch says the uplink ports are 2.5G ports and I think the TSB is 10G. This all works together?

Hm, I would not focus to much on the GS752TSB and the GSTPSB ... simply because these devices are almost one decade old, products are in a later phase of the product lifecycle ... and use these only to expand existing stacks.

No, these stack on 2.5 Gb only - no 10G.

Some words on the nomenclature used:

• GS and XS designate Gigabit and 10G port switches.
  • T designates some Smart Manage Pro model.
  • P says it's PoE.
  • S indicates it's a stackable device.
  • B (correct (B) is a bundle of a switch with a stacking cable

When stacking is mandatory, I suggest you look into the Fully Managed - M4300 Intelligent Edge Series as there are no current stackable Smart Managed Pro switches anymore.

The current Smart Managed Pro series (model designation GS (Gigabit) or XS (10G) xxxT) switches cover about the same features you might know from the Cisco Small Business Smart Switches of the 250 Series.  The Netgear Managed Switches (as the promoted M4300 Series) covers a little wider capability than the Cisco Small Business Managed Switches of the 350 and the 550X series.

In fact Cisco has a much broader selection of various switch model series than Netgear. Cisco had in the past a big problem in the Small Business area - Nexus switches were overkill, Catalyst are typically built on Cisco proprietary hardware and are simply much to expensive for most SMBs (and still are). That's why they have also launched SMB class Smart Managed and Fully Managed model lines based on industry standard switch platforms (most made by the major switch silicon makers, like Netgear's)

The Smart Managed Plus (this includes any Click/Lifestyle/Gaming models), model designation GS (Gigabit) or XS (10G) xxxE - Cisco has no equivalent - are essentially priced to non-managed levels, are built using non-managed switch cores which have some low-level configuration options, like the ability to define static VLANs. It's about what is built-in integrated systems like SMB routers or security appliances.

Would love to hear from @LaurentMa on my brief overview!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements