× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Configuration problems on a GS724Tv4

HomeServerGuy
Aspirant

Time Configuration problems on a GS724Tv4

I am having problems getting the SNTP Time Configuration client to work. Its doesnt even look like its trying to get a time from any server I enter. Has anybody got any advice on how to make it work?

My SMTP Server Configuration screen looks like this:

SNTP Server Configuration

The 176. address has been added to try and resolve the problem, I dont plan on using that one and will remove it.

DNS is enabled on the switch, and all other aspects of it are working fine; its simply the time that fails. On reboot it refuses to request an update from any server defined, and the date/time stays at Jan 1 1970.

I cant find any meaning for the Last Attempt Status of 'Other', and does the fact that the Requests remains at 0 mean its not even trying to get a time update?

As I havent had any response from any time server, the Time Configuration screen wont let me set SNTP as the Clock Source:

Time Configuration

Thanks in advance for an help given.

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 36

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Time Configuration problems on a GS724Tv4

Here are the steps in troubleshooting Time Configuration on a NETGEAR Smart Switch:

1. Make the firmware is on the latest version.

2. On the SNTP Server Configuration Address, try to use an NTP pool specific to your country.  For example: if you are in Czech Republic, use cz.pool.ntp.org or the equivalent IP Address of the NTP pool.

3. Check if you have a DNS configured on the switch.

4. Try to set the IP Address of the default gateway on the SNTP Server Configuration Address.

5. Factory reset the switch and start from scratch.

6. If the same problem occurs after trying the steps above, kindly open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support at anytime.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 36 of 36

All Replies
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi HomeServerGuy,

Welcome to Netgear Community!

Last Attempt Status of 'Other' offen appears when SNTP is not started. And  the fact that the Requests remains at 0 mean its not even trying to get a time update.

Suggest to upgrade to the latest version(6.3.1.16),and enable SNTP via "SNTP Global Configuration" again.

You can download the version here .

Hope it helps

Regards

Carl

Netgeaer Employee

Message 2 of 36
HomeServerGuy
Aspirant

Thanks, but it was the update to 6.3.1.16 last week that started this off. The time on the switch was alway fine before.

Firmware

Oddly though, after leaving it for a couple hours, it decided to start working. Nothing I did, as I left it alone after posting this question.

Time Configuration

Strange.

Message 3 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HomeServerGuy,

Since it worked after leaving it a couple of hours, I suggest you to observe if the same problem occurs.  Keep us posted.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 36
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HomeServerGuy,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 5 of 36
XDRich
Guide

Hello Support I have the exact same issue as the user above.  Except the unit has never actually attempted to contact any configures SNTP servers.

Last attempt is Other

Request 0

Failed 0

I have two GS716tv3 units running 6.3.1.16

Nothing is happening with SNTP

Please help.

-Rich

Model: GS716Tv3|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 6 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XDRich,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Are you able to access the internet on both GS716Tv3?  

b. Have you tried to set the named SNTP via the web-GUI of both of your GS716Tv3  If not yet, kindly refer to this article and use it as a guide  You may check the North America NTP servers here.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XDRich,

I just want to follow-up on this.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 36
XDRich
Guide

Thanks for the follow up.

I have noticed that upon reboot of the switch, the time is always seto to 1969.

It takes an hour or so before the switch attempts an SNTP sync with my router.

Once it does all is fine.

I would assume this function would happen a bit sooner, or I would have some ability to trip it to happen sooner but we do not.

While I suspect this is not a problem, I would like the time sync to happen a lot sooner than what appears to be a random start.

-Rich

Message 9 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XDRich,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. On the web-GUI of the GS716Tv3, go to System > Management > Time > SNTP Server Configuration. 

2. On the Server Type column, select IPv4.

3. On the Address field, enter the LAN IP Address of your default gateway (router).

4. Leave the Port, Priority and the Version fields on defaults.

5. Click Add.

Note: You may need to reboot the GS716Tv3 for the settings to apply.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@XDRich,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 36
jdenver
Aspirant

Ive set the detail as DaneA discribed and still can not get the switch to correct its time. Cant see why this is so complicated. Any more ideas please.

Message 12 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jdenver,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the current firmware version of your switch? 

b. How is everything connected?  It would be best to post a diagram of your detailed network setup.

c. Have you tried to factory reset your switch then reconfigure it from scratch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 36
jdenver
Aspirant

Hi DaneA

Unit and Firmware is GS724Tv4 ProSafe 24-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch, 6.3.1.19, B1.0.0.4

I have a Virgin router set to DMZ mode into a Draytek Vigor 2830 router with the time set on the draytek using pool.ntp.org and the time is correct. The Draytek router then connects to the GS724 switch. The Draytek router address is 192.168.1.1 and the switch is 192.168.1.2.

Havent tried a factory reset as yet.

Message 14 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jdenver,

Let us try to perform a factory reset on the GS724Tv4 then reconfigure it from scratch.  Then, let us first try to set the SNTP Server Configuration as pool.ntp.org which is the same as in the Draytek Vigor 2830 router and observe if it will work.  If ever it does not work, try to set the the SNTP Server Configuration as 192.168.1.1 which is the LAN IP Address of your default gateway (Draytek Vigor 2830 router). 

Let us know the result. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jdenver,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Any updates?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 36
jdenver
Aspirant

Ive returned the switch to factory settings and still no luck.Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 09.49.58.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 09.32.03.jpg

Message 17 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jdenver,

Thanks for the update.  Were you able to try to set the the SNTP Server Configuration as 192.168.1.1 which is the LAN IP Address of your default gateway (Draytek Vigor 2830 router) as well?  If not yet, kindly try it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 36
jdenver
Aspirant

Ive had it running for 2 days now with the router address and still no joy, Ive also found that 3 ports are dead on the switch so think it needs returning. What is the procedure in return this. Only purchased it this year.

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 23.10.40.jpg

Message 19 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jdenver,

I suggest you to login to your MyNETGEAR account then open a chat/online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  Kindly state what happened to your GS724Tv4 and upload a .pdf or .doc copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your GS724Tv4 for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I too, cannot configure my GS724tV4 switch for the correct time.

I am connected to an ASUS RTAC88U router with an address of 192.168.0.1, and my switch address is 192.168.0.239.

I have tried using the routers ip address, but still no luck, so I have given up, for now, and I will havew to have another attempt at some time in the future.

I thought it would only be a simple setup procedure.

I am using 6.3.1.16  B1.0.0.4, on a Mac with Sierra 10.12.6

Message 21 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Marshy58,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly try to update the firmware of your GS724Tv4 switch from v6.3.1.16 to the latest v6.3.1.19.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the GS724Tv4 then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  Then check if same problem will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Marshy58,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try my suggestion?  If yes, what is your observation? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 36
r8899
Aspirant

Hi,

I found the same problem with SNTP, in GS724Tv4 (6.3.1.9). 

There is no problem in GS724Tv3.

GS724Tv4: 

GS724Tv4GS724Tv4GS724Tv4GS724Tv4

GS724Tv3

GS724Tv3GS724Tv3GS724Tv3GS724Tv3

Message 24 of 36
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@r8899,

Is the 10.106.110.250 the default gateway?  I found out that you are located in Czech Republic. Kindly check if you have a DNS configured on the GS724Tv4 switch and try to use cz.pool.ntp.org.  Read page 48 of the GS724Tv4 software administration manual here on how to configure DNS.

Also, the serial numbers of the GS724Tv3 and GS724Tv4 are not yet registered and its readable on your post.  Kindly edit your post and make it blurry as well.  If ever you are the original owner of both smart switches, I suggest you to register it on your MyNETGEAR account. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements