× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wierd Network Behavious

Biggsylad
Aspirant

Wierd Network Behavious

HI,

I am looking for a bit of advice. I have recently purchased the new Quad band Orbi and it's great, exactly what it said on the box and behaving perfectly.  However, I have this weird problem which I cant quite get my head around. My setup is reasonably simple. In the garage, the virgin media router ( in modem mode) is sat next to the main  orbi  router and plugged in, out the orbi I have GS110TP switch which is connected via a Fibre cable up to the loft where I have a  GS728TP switch, I have two other fiber connections going down to the lounge and study where my PC's are. Its been perfect until recently and I haven't got a scooby why it's changed. In the loft, my Mac Pro plex server is connected directly to the 728TP, If I run a speed test I get the full 1GB internet connection I pay through the nose for, however, if I run the same speed test on my main PC I am lucky to get half that.  Must be the PC ?!? So I have two PC's in the office plus a MAC air and they all have the same problem just not getting the speed I would  expect from a cabled connection . I have swapped the switches around just in case it something on the switches, reset to factory default but it will not get any faster. They are all running the latest firmware  and as far as I can tell running fine. The main 728 switch is all showing as good, I have wiresharked the traffic  and not seeing major issues, so it leaves just two things, the cable going from the loft to the office or the SFP modules. What I am looking for is any advice or anywhere I can check to see if there is anything I can see before I start pulling cables again. 

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated

Cheers

Mike

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Biggsylad
Aspirant

Re: Wierd Network Behavious

Further update!

So, after connecting a Cat 6   cable from the PC and the same switch as the Mac Pro, I was still getting the same results. After much discussion with various colleagues, one of them suggested going  and downloading TCP optimizer  at this link

After a quick look around the app and having it look at my setup if found a few missing registry tweeks and as soon as they applied them wallop, speed was back, for sanity, I applied it to the other PC in the office and once again it worked a treat. I still don't know what it was that changed it but it looks like it was a config issue on the systems rather than the switches, which makes sense after connecting the  PC  to the main switch.   I have replaced the SFP modules going from the loft switch down to the  GS110, maybe  that also helped  either way problem solved!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hello MIke,

Ok, these nice Orbi Quad Band systems out of the box, put in place as a router with a wired connection to the Internet, and some additional satellites set up around the house, are making up a wireless mesh backhaul. Uneducated guess is that traffic, from wireless computers, mobile, does make use of this wireless backhaul.

Sure, you mentioned having fixed network connection, some fiber, interconnecting some switches. Point to point connected, these read like Gigabit capable switches, so reaching gigabit speed should be possible easily. No, I don't talk of concurrent activities. now, at this point we know nothing on how your network is configured, and how the stuff made use of. Yes, wired. So tell us more. No idea what advise I should put up here.

-Kurt.

Message 2 of 5
Biggsylad
Aspirant

Thanks Kurt, I will do my best to talk you through the  setup.......

So from the Virgin Media hub (in modem mode so no  DHCP)  I am pushing that via Cat  6 into  Orbi Router, from their another  Cat 6 into the first of  GS110. There are over devices as well connected to the 110, but from the  110 via  fibre up to the GS 728 in the loft into the first SFP port.   Also connected to the  GS is   a MAC  Pro, 2 x Synology NAS drives, 2 x Ras PI running Pi-Hole and Homebridge, Phillips Hue hubs and so  on. Second SFP port has a fibre connection to my office plugged into another  GS110  and 2 x PC's and one MAC Book Pro using a USB C ethernet connector but also the first of the Orbi Satalite all via cat 6 cables. From the third SFP port I have another fibre which drops down to the lounge where I have a third GS110 with the TV, AMP, Bluray player, apple TV and Virgin Media Box and the final Orbi Satellite. In other words, all the Orbi's are backhauled using the wired network. 

Last night I swapped the two GS110s around, so the one in the lounge went to the office and vice versa, but this still didn't fix the issue. Looking at the web interface on all the switches, they are all showing as full duplex and all gigabit-capable devices are showing as negotiated at that speed. If I speed test from either of the PCs in the office they only register at best 600 Mbps but the MAC pro consistently shows 986 Mbps which is what I would expect.  If I speed test from a wireless device, again on iPhone 13 or 14, both are close to 800mbps, so the wireless is working as expected. The only thing I can test is a cat 6 cable direct from the 728 in the loft to the PC and take the switch and fibre out of the equation which I will try, but  I feel like I am missing something super obvious! Hope this helps

Message 3 of 5
Biggsylad
Aspirant

Update!

So I ran a Cat 6 up to the switch in the loft and connected the PC and repeated the test and got the same result so everything is pointing to the PCs but what I haven't got a clue. However, I noticed when up in the loft the third link light on the SFP ports is out and now the interface is reporting as down in the UI, but is still active as sending traffic and working. I am going to swap the SFP module to be safe and I have a spare fiber cable to do some further testing, but it doesn't make any sense now!

Message 4 of 5
Biggsylad
Aspirant

Further update!

So, after connecting a Cat 6   cable from the PC and the same switch as the Mac Pro, I was still getting the same results. After much discussion with various colleagues, one of them suggested going  and downloading TCP optimizer  at this link

After a quick look around the app and having it look at my setup if found a few missing registry tweeks and as soon as they applied them wallop, speed was back, for sanity, I applied it to the other PC in the office and once again it worked a treat. I still don't know what it was that changed it but it looks like it was a config issue on the systems rather than the switches, which makes sense after connecting the  PC  to the main switch.   I have replaced the SFP modules going from the loft switch down to the  GS110, maybe  that also helped  either way problem solved!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements