× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XS748T port connection issue

gioFA
Aspirant

XS748T port connection issue

First post so sorry in advance if I did anything wrong or my terminology is wrong still new and learning. 

I have a XS748T setup in our office for connecting about 20 macs with a few NAS. I have been trying to isolate our issues but keep getting mixed results. our setup is macs with thunderbilt to 10g adpaters (mix brans) with cat 6A from blackbox running about 100 to 200 feet to the switch. a hand full of mac work fine mix at 1g and 10g speeds but most of them are not connecting at all. it looks like it tries to connect for a second when plugged in then stops. We dont have anything configured outside of the default setting and Ive done a reset and firmware upgrade of the switch. In the management website it shows nothing on the port and I check buffering logs and didnt see anything. 

trying to rule out different things I first tried with no adpater and just using the onbaord Ethernet of the mac. same issue no connection to the switch. I then tested the cable run in the wall with a cheap cable tester and the connection is good. Next I took my mac laptop and plugged directly into the Switch (same port) using a 3 ft cable and it connected. Next I took my laptop and used it instead of the not working mac and it didnt work and had the same issue as the other mac. So now im thinking its the cable run in the wall. The strange part is I decided to test the cable run with another switch and it worked. I had a cheap TPlink 5 port gigabit switch that i put in between the XS748T and the mac not working. It connected instantly. So that tells me the cable run is working. 

Currently I'm waiting for some Tripp Lite Cat6a cables that say they are certified for 10g to rule out the cat 6 cables we are using from wall to computer and patch pannel to switch. my concern is that it should at least connect at gigabit with out the right cable or adpaters. 

I spoke with support and they want to send my a new switch but im not sure it will fix the issue. Please any insight or other things to try would be much appropriated because half our mac are not connecting at all. 

Model: XS748T|48-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP+ Ports
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

The possible difference between the simple GbE switch and the XS748T is that the simple switch might allow to run on two cable pairs only, establishing a Fast Ethernet link only - the XS748T does not support 10M/100M links AFAIK.

Next trouble is that cheap testers only check the DC connection. If the pairing of the cable/wires is not correct, links can fail to be established, especially on higher frequencies resp. faster link rates.

Message 2 of 3
gioFA
Aspirant

Yes the XS748T does not do 10/100. I will try and isoloate the cabling more thank you. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements