× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

advise for buying switches and creation SFP trunk

hohojojo
Aspirant

advise for buying switches and creation SFP trunk

Dear community,

As I am new to managed Switches I would like to have some advise before buying 2 switches.
I need to connect 2 switches, one in a small office and one in home, approx. 50 meters apart from each other. A 200 Mbit fiber internet connection is ready to connect in the home location and connects both the office uses and the home users.

I think of using 2 ProSAFE Smart Switches GS724T which have 2 fiber SFP GBIC connections as a stack and connect them via an SFP trunk to get a 2Gbit connection between switches.

Planned are 2 Synology DS1817+ file- and backupservers, one in office and one in home. This DS1817+ has 4 Gbit ethernet connections and supports link aggregation (LACP). I think of connecting them via an 4 port SFP trunk to the switch for optimal performance.

Future connections for security camera's are prepared.

Questions
1) Is creation of the trunks and stack possible with these switches?
2) Is this a cost effective solution given the provided information or is there a much better option?
3) Is this the right type of cable for this project?
https://www.patchkast.nl/om3-glasvezel-kabel-lc-lc-50m.html
type: Duplex, Multimode 50/125,
category: OM3
connector: LC

I am happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks, hohojojo

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: advise for buying switches and creation SFP trunk

@hohojojo,

Yes, you may use the S3300-28X (GS728TX) for trunking and LACP. It is also possible to create LAG between two switches as long as the switches that you are going to use supports LAG. If you wanted a device that supports stacking feature then the GS728TXS will do.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi hohojojo,

Welcome to our community!

Unfortunately, GS724T does not support stacking features. It will be possible if you may check this stackable switches that we have.

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
hohojojo
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply JohnCarloV! To bad 😞 Glad I asked before.... It seems to me that the datasheet isn't very clear about that. This one: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/GS716Tv3-GS724Tv4-GS748Tv5.pdf See the part of page 3 attached as png file. I looked at your suggestion and found model GS728TS Stackable Smart Managed Switch Series. I can't find this model at my providers site. I also need a special stacking cable AGC761 for a 2,5 Gbit stack, I liked the idea of redundancy (in my original question) for the connection and 50 meters fibre between the 2 switch locations. The people over here suggested another type, the S3300-28X (GS728TX) - ProSAFE S3300 Smart Switch Series. There is already an 10 GBit uplink. Can this switch be used to create a 20 GB SFP trunk if they think they would need it? And of course I like it for redundancy.
Message 3 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@hohojojo,

I don't see any stacking feature showing on the datasheet you have given. It has SFP ports but those are not applicable for stacking, it will only work for trunk and LAGs. Stacking is different from creating a redundancy or LAGs. You may refer on this article for setting a LAG in stacking ports.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
hohojojo
Aspirant

thank you for correcting me and pointing me to the given discussion. The NAS (Synology DS1817+) has 4 Gbit ethernet connections and supports link aggregation (LACP). I think of connecting them via an 4 port SFP trunk to the switch for optimal performance. But for an electrical galvanic separation between the two switches I need a fiber connection. Is the Netgear S3300-28X (GS728TX) - ProSAFE S3300 Smart Switch Series possible? I think of an uplink with 2 fibers: - 1 fiber connected in upload ports 27F from switch 1 (Netgear S3300-28X (GS728TX)) to switch 2 (Netgear S3300-28X (GS728TX)) port 27F and - one fiber port 28F on switch 1 connected to Switch 2 on port 28F Will it be possible to create a LAG between the two switches? ( the term link aggregation applies to various methods of combining (aggregating) multiple network connections in parallel in order to increase throughput beyond what a single connection could sustain, and to provide redundancy in case one of the links should fail. A Link Aggregation Group (LAG) combines a number of physical ports together to make a single high-bandwidth data path, so as to implement the traffic load sharing among the member ports in the group and to enhance the connection reliability. source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregate_group)
Message 5 of 9
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@hohojojo,

Yes, you may use the S3300-28X (GS728TX) for trunking and LACP. It is also possible to create LAG between two switches as long as the switches that you are going to use supports LAG. If you wanted a device that supports stacking feature then the GS728TXS will do.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@hohojojo wrote:
The NAS (Synology DS1817+) has 4 Gbit ethernet connections and supports link aggregation (LACP). I think of connecting them via an 4 port SFP trunk to the switch for optimal performance. But for an electrical galvanic separation between the two switches I need a fiber connection.

Five by one. The Syno does have for 1000Base-T (copper, GbE) interfaces. So something like a IEEE 802.1AX-2008 (formerly IEEE 802.3ad) LACP trunk - on GbE links.  Assuming the two switches can be stacked, and permitting the LAG configuration spanning over two stack members*  ... you have copper from both switches to the Syno - there it goes our galvanic separation idea.

*I would assume LAG spanning multiple stack switches should be possible - @JohnC_V please verify and confirm.

@hohojojo wrote:
I think of an uplink with 2 fibers: - 1 fiber connected in upload ports 27F from switch 1 (Netgear S3300-28X (GS728TX)) to switch 2 (Netgear S3300-28X (GS728TX)) port 27F and - one fiber port 28F on switch 1 connected to Switch 2 on port 28F Will it be possible to create a LAG between the two switches?

Confused again. This is not an uplink - this is simply the stack interconnect between the two switches.

@JohnC_V - of course LAG configurations are possible. What is unclear if multiple links can be used for the logical single stack interconnect to for redundancy and additional bandwidth. This variant not covered in the KB 30297: S3300 Stacking Support Users might or might not have to configure a LAG for the stacking connections (and seriously I'm to lazy reading the complete S3300 documentation this evening). 

@hohojojo wrote:
3) Is this the right type of cable for this project?
type: Duplex, Multimode 50/125,
category: OM3
connector: LC

Yes, an LC-LC MM OM3 fiber pair is fine for 10 GbE - however don't forget that you need SFP+ 10GBase-SR MultiMode 850nm 300m for each switch SFP+ port. Side note: With OM4 up to 400m can be covered using the same "low cost" (short reach MM) modules.

To gain galvanic isolation between the stack switches, I would tend towards using a decent NAS platform with two 10 GbE SFP+, a switch stack with two GS728TXS/GS752TXS** were each has four SFP+ slots. Two can be used to create a 20 Gb stacking backplane, one SFP+ of each for a NAS (in a LAG), and one SFP+ remains spare, ie. for a second NAS (think: backup, redundancy).

**small disadvantage: This is an older platfrom but the S3300 Series if I'm not wrong.

Message 7 of 9
hohojojo
Aspirant

Schumaku thank you very much for your reaction. My reaction is a little late, sorry for that.

About galvanic separation:

I attached a diagram to make clear what I plan to do. Full galvanic seperation till electricity meters in my opinion, how do you think about it?

"This is not an uplink - this is simply the stack interconnect between the two switches."

True!

I didn't select the connectors yet, need some extra time for it.

I had found some NAS with one or two 10 GbE SFP+ ports. I selected one but they didn't think it was worth it for this moment 😞

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Ok, I was under the impression there is just one NAS, but with a single LAG connected to both stacked switches. Sorry for the confusion - no galvanic loopback there in that case.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements