× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear gs308t dropping frames

Hash70
Tutor

netgear gs308t dropping frames

bought a netgear gs308t mainly for igmp multicast as my amplifi hd router was flooding the other ports when watching iptv and plan to learn about the rest of the features later on so theve been left at default,this is my first managed switch so I'm a bit lost with all the settings,the problem is out the box without changing any setting 's in the port detailed statistics its showing alot of dropped transmit frames on the g1 port which connects to my bt hub,my nvidia shield is connected to port g2,after I enabled igmp the frame drops go through the roof,jst continually dropping frames,after about a hour of iptv port g1 to my bt hub is showing 15511 frame drops while my nvidia shield in port g2 is showing 111 frame drops,I presume this is bad?although I haven't noticed any problems yet,my download speed is the same,I enabled RSTP but it didnt make any difference,so I'm at a loss here
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: netgear gs308t dropping frames

Easy test is to put the bt hub on a different port. 

If that port starts having dropped frames/packets, then I'd try replacing the connecting ethernet cord first. 

Message 2 of 7
Hash70
Tutor

already tryed changing ports,I had g8 connected to my hub and that was dropping frames so changed it to g1,but I haven't tryed a different cat cable as its a new one but il try that now thx
Message 3 of 7
Hash70
Tutor

still dropping frames,tryed another cat cable and different port but it starts dropping right away,not sure on what else to try here
Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I own a GS308T and it works fine for me. However the traffic flowing through it is very light. I have another switch that was just flooded with transmit errors, but it was heavily used. There were several HD cameras connected to it plus a NVR and another switch with several HD cameras. I replaced it with a more powerful switch and assigned it to lighter duties. None of them shows any errors now.

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hash70,

NETGEAR recently released a new GS308T firmware which is v1.0.5.5.  I suggest you to update the firmware then observe if the same problem will occur.  

You can download GS308T firmware v1.0.5.5 here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The new firmware does not offer any performance improvements. You need a better switch, i.e. a switch with a faster processor and/or with more memory. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements