× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.19 Disk Scrubbing with Auto Parity Fix Schedule

Transalp
Aspirant

4.2.19 Disk Scrubbing with Auto Parity Fix Schedule

Sceduled the disk scrubbing (Ultra 6) for every 32 weeks on Monday at 14:00h, but it does the scrubbing every week....

Some questions:

- Anybody else have this experience (also with earlier (beta) firmwares)?
- What are the benefits regarding scrubbing? With other words what are the disadvantages when I disable scrubbing?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 14
mattseattle
Aspirant

Re: 4.2.19 Disk Scrubbing with Auto Parity Fix Schedule

I've noticed mine has switched to doing it every week as well.
Message 2 of 14
yupsolo
Aspirant

same here...
Message 3 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

could you guys send in your system log and config backup zip file?
Message 4 of 14
Transalp
Aspirant

Okay opened a case (#16738656) also because I thought I was the only one.... 😎

Answer from support:

You should look at the disk scrubbing like the disk defregmentation on your local PC. The idea of the scrubbing is to set all the data by special algoritim so it's easier to re-run the data and to allocat it. Regarding the set interval issue, you can try to do a OS re-install on the ReadyNAS. Most likely it's just a OS issue that you're facing. On the following link you can find the instructions on the OS re-install - http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... _boot_menu

Done the re-install of the OS. Put the settings back with restore and have set the scrubbing for every two weeks. Now let's see what's happening.

Jedi Knight: Thanks for your reply. Will send the files after the test (OS re-install) if there is no improvement. If you can use them now, then please respond and I will be happy to send them.

Regards.
Message 5 of 14
yupsolo
Aspirant

Jedi Knight wrote:
could you guys send in your system log and config backup zip file?

I'll PM the zip for sure.

If it can help...

Thanks!
Message 6 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

I can confirm this problem does exist in 4.2.19. Previously had Disk Scrubbing to run every 2 months which worked without issue. Now it is scheduled weekly as also reported here:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=57299&p=323388#p323356

My Frontview Settings:

Resultant cron configuration

$  cat frontview-vol_maint 
0 3 * * sat root /frontview/bin/vol_maint scrub /dev/c/c
0 4 * * sun root /frontview/bin/vol_maint consistency /dev/c/c
Message 7 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk scrubbing on my NAS is now running weekly.

The cron script /etc/cron.d/frontview-vol_maint, I believe is supposed to run weekly.

It executes a script that reads /etc/frontview/vol_maint.conf and should determine from the info in that whether or not to run the check.

MDGM-NAS:~# cat /etc/frontview/vol_maint.conf
scrub:/dev/c/c:4:XXXXXX
consistency:/dev/c/c:1:XXXXXXX

As you can see disk scrubbing is scheduled to run every 4 weeks on my unit, and the Online Consistency Check is scheduled to run every week

So I presume the bug is in /frontview/bin/vol_maint or in something that that script uses. I don't believe it's a configuration or GUI problem.
Message 8 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

This problem affects the online file consistency check as well. Happens weekly even though set for lower frequency.
Please fix
Message 9 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Disk scrubbing on my NAS is now running weekly.

The cron script /etc/cron.d/frontview-vol_maint, I believe is supposed to run weekly.

It executes a script that reads /etc/frontview/vol_maint.conf and should determine from the info in that whether or not to run the check.

MDGM-NAS:~# cat /etc/frontview/vol_maint.conf
scrub:/dev/c/c:4:XXXXXX
consistency:/dev/c/c:1:XXXXXXX

As you can see disk scrubbing is scheduled to run every 4 weeks on my unit, and the Online Consistency Check is scheduled to run every week

So I presume the bug is in /frontview/bin/vol_maint or in something that that script uses. I don't believe it's a configuration or GUI problem.

I set up one of my system to scrub every 4 weeks (thursday at 8pm). last night, it triggered the 1st time scrubbing fine . so let see it get trigger again before 4 weeks setup. I can try tweaking the clock to 4 weeks ahead, but I rather leave the system to what you guys are seeing..
Message 10 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

bug has been file to developers to take a look. Look like recently changes didn't check the week setting correctly..
Message 11 of 14
yupsolo
Aspirant

thx!
Message 12 of 14
Transalp
Aspirant

FYI,

The unit started the scrubbing to early (meaning every week) dispite an OS-reinstall.

Will await the answer of Jedi Knight.

Regards,
Marcel
Message 13 of 14
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

We will get it fix in up coming release. we found the root cause in the script and will get it corrected and fully tested before released..

Thanks for all your concerns and reporting the issues..
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements