× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5.3.5-T19: Folder Permissions

ETix
Aspirant

5.3.5-T19: Folder Permissions

Hi all,

I have installed the new beta 5.3.5-T19. I am experiencing folders permission issues.

I created a new group GG-IT and created a new folder "Development"; I added my login to this new group GG-IT; But I only add my login to have Read/Write access to the Development folder.

Now, I can't copy files or create new folders in this Development folder.

Is this an issue or am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers
Message 1 of 20
sgpearman
Aspirant

Win 7 64bit?
Message 2 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

Yes, it is on win 7 64bit.
Message 3 of 20
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Do you select "Automatic permissions" in Protocol-specific settings after create the share? please select the item before cerate subfolder in the share, if you don't select, don't worry, we also add Reset permissions button in files and folders, please press it, it will reset the security of all subfolder to same with shares.
Message 4 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

How long does it takes for the permission settings to take effect? I changed the permission on a folder to allow everyone to access it but cannot.

I think I am doing something wrong here because everything I want to do is not working.

thanks for all your help!
Message 5 of 20
sgpearman
Aspirant

There's been lots of issues with win 64 bit - that I've read about anyway. Do you have an xp or 32bit machine you can try?
Message 6 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

Windows XP 32bit does not work either. After I created a new folder and remove everyone read/write access and added a group to have read/write access and checked the automatic permission, but when I logged with an id belong to that group on Windows XP, it keeps prompting me for the windows credential login. And yes I did the netgearnas\login Id and password.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Also, I am having a lot of problems authenicating using Windows 7 64-bit. I cannot log in succssefully when accessing a folder on Windows 7 64-bit, it keeps asking for my log and password.

For example: I entered => netgearnas\joe and the password: testing

No go for Windows XP 32-bit or 7 64-bit
Message 7 of 20
NASBO
Aspirant

Hi,

I use Win7 x64 and have no problems of this nature, but when I first set up the box I moved about 1.5TB of data from my pc via a USB drive, only to find that I could not access any files.

This was some kind of file (not share) permissions problem. I plugged the USB drive into my pc, took ownership of all the files, and then set all files to "everyone" full control. After this I was able to put the data on the NAS and I could access everything and control access through share permissions.

The "Reset Permissions" button under "Files and Folders" in share properties should achieve the same effect, have you tried this?

Max
Message 8 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

Yes, I have tried the automatic permission check box and also the reset permission button. Not working

This is very frustrating....

I can't even create a simply folder and assign a group to have read/write access to it.

But if I allow everyone read/write access then I can access the folder. This was the sole purpose for me purchasing this Netgear Readynas.

Here's what I did so please let me know if I am missing any steps.

1. I created a group called GG-IT
2. I created a user ETix
3. I made GG-IT as a primary group for user ETix
4. I clicked on the Share menu and created an ew folder called "Technology" with initial default everyone read/write access
5. I checked the GG-IT group to have read/write and it refreshed, then I unchecked everyone read/write access and it refreshed
6. now from my Windows XP 32 bit, I click Start-Run then \\netgear-nas\
7. It shows me a list of folders, I double clicked on the the Technology folder and then I was prompted to enter a login and password
8. I typed netgear-nas\ETix and password today
9. It repeatly prompted me to re-enter my login and password over and over

To access the Techonlogy folder, I have to go back and check the everyone read/write access, then I can access the folder without entering login or password.

I cannot access any folder if everyone read/write access is unchecked for that folders.

btw, I renamed the device to netgear-nas

So, none the permission does not work for me at all except for everyone read/write.

Updated @ 7:49am Central - I get this error when clicking on "Reset Permission" => Share operation failed" code 1001010006

Should I revert back to 5.3.4 version? If so, then I would lose the group functionality.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Message 9 of 20
NASBO
Aspirant

I have just set up a group called "GG-IT" on my box, and a user called "test", I have then created a new share that is only accessible to "GG-IT" members. (I also ticked auto permissions)

I then rebooted the box.

I have logged on to the share and entered username "test" and the password and I have read/write access.

Have you tried entering the username without the domain prefix?

Also I notice you say you have renamed the box, have you tried entering the old name as the domain instead?
Message 10 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

Yes, I have entered the username without the domain prefix, no go.

and Yes I have rebooted the box and also used the old name as the domain, no go.

It seems that as soon as I uncheck eveeryone read/write then I cannot accessing the folder even though I checked my username to have read/write.

One more thing to note: The box recognizes my domain name and has added in the Network General Settings:

Host Name: netgear-nas
Workgroup: my domain name

Thanks
Message 11 of 20
NASBO
Aspirant

I can't replicate this issue on my box, but I am using an NV+.

You could try an OS reinstall in case something has got corrupted, seems odd that an issue would only exist on the Duo, maybe another Duo owner can test this for you.

Can you access the share by selecting another user, or selecting user directly instead of group?
Message 12 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

I cannot access if I shared to individual username, it must be everyone access read/write before I can access the shared folders.
Message 13 of 20
NASBO
Aspirant

As it happens I have tried to access a share today get access denied on everything (except by FTP where it keeps reverting to allow anonymous access).

I have just tried to roll back to 5.3.4, it took a really long time uploading and then said "Unrecognised Server Error". Bad News.
Message 14 of 20
NASBO
Aspirant

Using my credentials it recognises me and shows my home folder, but says access denied if I try and open it.
Message 15 of 20
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ETix wrote:
Yes, I have tried the automatic permission check box and also the reset permission button. Not working

This is very frustrating....

I can't even create a simply folder and assign a group to have read/write access to it.

But if I allow everyone read/write access then I can access the folder. This was the sole purpose for me purchasing this Netgear Readynas.

Here's what I did so please let me know if I am missing any steps.

1. I created a group called GG-IT
2. I created a user ETix
3. I made GG-IT as a primary group for user ETix
4. I clicked on the Share menu and created an ew folder called "Technology" with initial default everyone read/write access
5. I checked the GG-IT group to have read/write and it refreshed, then I unchecked everyone read/write access and it refreshed
6. now from my Windows XP 32 bit, I click Start-Run then \\netgear-nas\
7. It shows me a list of folders, I double clicked on the the Technology folder and then I was prompted to enter a login and password
8. I typed netgear-nas\ETix and password today
9. It repeatly prompted me to re-enter my login and password over and over

To access the Techonlogy folder, I have to go back and check the everyone read/write access, then I can access the folder without entering login or password.

I cannot access any folder if everyone read/write access is unchecked for that folders.

btw, I renamed the device to netgear-nas

So, none the permission does not work for me at all except for everyone read/write.

Updated @ 7:49am Central - I get this error when clicking on "Reset Permission" => Share operation failed" code 1001010006

Should I revert back to 5.3.4 version? If so, then I would lose the group functionality.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hi ETix,

Could you try this?
1) Do not uncheck both os checkboxes of Everyone. You can set Everyone has read only permission for the share, and disable "Allow Anonymous access".
2) Set the permission of group of GG-IT as read/write.
And try to access the share with ETix again.

I've try as your steps both in Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. Different results.
In my Windows 7, it works totally ok. "ETix" has read/write permission of the share. But in my Windows XP, "ETix" cannot login the share at all. And after I set everyone has read only permission, "ETix" has read/write permission.
Due to 2 OS have different results, maybe it Windows XP 32 bit itself problem or our code issue, anyway I'll ask our RDs to checkout this. Thanks!
Message 16 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

I think I really messed up here. I was experimenting and turned on the active directory, now my duo v2 unit is offline, I power down it and it still offline?

Should I do a reset? if so, how?
Message 17 of 20
ETix
Aspirant

I think I messed up here. I played with the active directory settings on the duo v2 unit and now it keeps telling me that the unit is offline. I can browse to it but cannot access from my browser.

HELP!!
Message 18 of 20
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The function of adding to an AD domain is not ready in T19. There is a reminder in the limitation list. I'm sorry you need a factory default with your box.
Message 19 of 20
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Before factory default, you can backup all data from CIFS/AFP. Adding to Active Directory sometimes will cause UI crash, as what you saw, it always said the unit was offline. But backend can still work.
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements