× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.1.5 release

F_L_
Tutor

Re: 6.1.5 release ETA

My guess is that they wait. Releasing it today could cause some heavy pressure on the L1-3 support team during Christmas.
Something NTGR might want to avoid
Message 26 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

I don't want to fix things myself, but if I have to then I will. I'm linux certified but I think if I buy an all-in-one device, that's to avoid any problem, but I have a proprietary device with no video out, no boot selector, I don't know the details about how the flash and the boot loader work. If it were a stock debian on a standard server, I would have fixed things the night following the problem discovery.
My problem is that I bought a device which is advertised to work properly, from a known manufacturer, and it doesn't work at all. I had a paperweight for quite some time now. If I were an enterprise, you would have 3 days to fix things before being charged (standard support contracts being 24H to 72H guaranteed repair), I would have money to buy 10 Synology/QNAP NAS by now. But I'm not an enterprise, my warranty is running out, I have no information and I can't afford to buy another NAS...

What I'm saying is that this problem shouldn't have passed the pre-launch test, that Netgear should do a better work at communicating, and that the update should fix things before introducing new bugs along with new features, then (and only then) you should have new features.
I can forgive the pre-launch test, this happens. But when you ask for blind trust, you can't afford to be anything less than impeccable. If you are having difficulties, explain, get help, show that you care for customers, create workarounds, extend warranties (and allow phone and live chat outside the 90 days), doesn't cost anything and gives credit to the support and engineering teams.

PS : I think the support is already crawling under OS6 support tickets related to the incident, an update could ease things rather than complicate them.
Message 27 of 164
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Phone support and live chat do cost and are free for 90 days post purchase.

There is still free online support regardless of whether the 90 day period has expired or not.

Some things are compiled stripped binaries so if those need to be changed you can't change it yourself in the stock firmware.
Message 28 of 164
F_L_
Tutor

What happened to the post here containing the BETA files of 6.1.5?
Was it removed again?
Message 29 of 164
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think a user posted something in this thread and then deleted his own post. Maybe that was it.
Message 30 of 164
chirpa
Luminary

Google Cache to the rescue!

Mace Windoo wrote:
Hello everyone,

ReadyNAS 6.1.5 is officially due for release very soon. In the meantime, here is a link to the new latest beta code which includes BTRFS changes that have been implemented to resolve some of this issues mentioned this thread. Specifically, devices that experience performance issues or non-responsive behavior when consuming the majority of capacity (> ~70% ).

To take advantage of this update, you must format your existing volume after the update is applied, this will allow ReadyNASOS to create a new filesystem using a more optimum configuration. The new filesystem configuration will now have a larger node size that can accommodate higher file system usage on systems with 512Mb RAM such as the ReadyNAS 104

I understand that this is an inconvenience however, it is the only way to make this type of change.

http://www.readynas.com/download/beta/r ... .5-arm.img
http://www.readynas.com/download/beta/r ... x86_64.img

Please feel free to message myself for more information or continue to give your feedback through this forum.

Many thanks.
Message 31 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

Great job Chirpa 😉 I guess I'll be checking my backups tonight and perform the update tomorrow.

Just to be sure of what beta means to Netgear.
It can be unstable, buggy but not put the device itself in danger, meaning whatever I do I would be able to get back the 6.1.4 in some way ? This means that the device will boot no matter what and give access to the web restore tool (since I believe the flash will be updated with the beta firmware too).
I should then be able to apply the final update without any problem by clicking the restore firmware and providing the .img file or will I have to reset for that ?
Message 32 of 164
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking at those images they looks like they are RC (Release Candidate) builds. So they are unlikely to be unstable or buggy though that's not impossible.

The update wouldn't brick the device (unless the internal flash happened to fail which could happen but is very unlikely). If you really need to downgrade assistance could be provided to do that (though you should make sure you have a backup of your data first).
Message 33 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

Since mdgm answered to my concerns, I got the 6.1.5 up and running and performed a factory default.
ARM version boots up perfectly with the 104.

So far it seems to be working, I'm currently moving my app folder. Transfer speed is stable (small files are slower but that's an HDD problem), never stopping like it did before. the 104 transfer speed is 34Mbytes/s for large files (with rebuilding in background). I only copied a few gigabytes so far, so don't get too excited yet, but for the moment nothing to complain about.

By the way, you'll also find some new apps.
limesurvey
phpsysinfo
Amule
and cacti

Thanks to poussin for all these apps, particularly cacti (I'd rather have chosen Shinken, but having a way to easily monitor the box is great no matter the tool).
Message 34 of 164
olest
Guide

I was hoping to get 6.2.0 as support told me should be released in december.
Message 35 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

The link you gave is for intel only, I don't know if they have ARM version.
I'm in no rush for the 6.2, if the 6.1.5 fixes my problem then I can wait a month without any problem to get the 6.2. The 6.1.5 was really needed, the 6.2 will be appreciable but not necessary.
Message 36 of 164
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.1.4 -> 6.1.5 would be mainly bug fixes, I think.

6.2.0 is more likely to focus on adding new features.

If a 6.1.5 is released it would be before a 6.2.0 release.
Message 37 of 164
fream
Aspirant

Anyone checked how much has been updated in 6.1.5 and 6.2 in term of BRTFS and kernel version?
Since BTRFS is still in such active development it would be nice if OS6 used as current version as possible.

6.1.2 is Kernel 3.0.87 and Btrfs v0.20-rc1 it seems.
Message 38 of 164
vandermerwe
Master

fream, they haven't been released yet.
Message 39 of 164
fream
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
fream, they haven't been released yet.

True. But if 6.1.5 is RC status it should contain the same versions that will be released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Message 40 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

=> uname -a = Linux hostname 3.0.101.RN_ARM.1 #1 Thu Dec 5 12:36:03 PST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
=> btrfs --version = Btrfs v0.20-rc1

That's what I get with 6.1.5 on my RN104. BTRFS real version is at least 3.4 for the metadata block size, but I don't know the real btrfs version.
Best guess I'd say 3.11 since linux kernel 3.0.101 seemed to have been committed on sept 30th (cf bottom of this page kernel changelog and BTRFS wiki changelog )
As far as I know the btrfs 0.19 is le last stable utils version, so 0.20-RC1 should be one of the latest.

for the testing, I just copied 800GB to the NAS. While doing this I had one transfer problem, NAS didn't lockup though, just had to clic retry. Transfer speed is less stable at the end than at the beginning, got to 0byte/s several times for a second or so at te end of the transfer. Since it was rebuilding in background, it could be related.
Message 41 of 164
durham70
Aspirant

Now can't decide what to try

or that 6.2.0 T398 !!!!

Anyone tried the 6.2.0 ?
Message 42 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

Well the 6.1.5 seems to be a near final.
The 6.2.0 naming convention suggests it's still under development. The version suggests they will add new features, this means that you may end up with some unusable features because they are unfinished. I always advise caution with alpha/beta status update, I don't think netgear did officially publish the 6.2 for us to test. IF you have the changelog and need a feature that is in 6.2.0 then go for it, if it's merely just excitement for new stuff you are not likely to use, then wait a bit more.
Either way, you should be prepared to factory default (to apply BTRFS settings or to be able to downgrade if needed) so check your backups.
Message 43 of 164
durham70
Aspirant

thanks xeltros

Updating backups at the moment...... Final decision once they are done but I think i'm leaning towards 6.2.0 just for the heck of it (and it's Christmas, I've got time to play around and go back to 6.1.4/5 if needed)
Message 44 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

Have fun then, I'd be interested in the changes you notice.
Message 45 of 164
mbaran
Aspirant

Just installed the 6.1.5 RC onto a new pair of 4TB drives. How can I manually check the BTRFS size to ensure the "fix" is in place?
Message 46 of 164
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good question. Using SSH:

# cat /proc/mdstat
# btrfs-show-super -a /dev/md127

Your volume(s) would be on /dev/md127, /dev/md126 etc.

The output of the btrfs-show-super command should contain

nodesize 32768
leafsize 32768
Message 47 of 164
xeltros
Apprentice

Confirmed, that's the numbers I get with 6.1.5 after a reset.
Message 48 of 164
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 6.1.5 release

It would be hard coded either into a script or into the relevant utility to use that nodesize and that leafsize
Message 49 of 164
StephenB
Guru

Re: 6.1.5 release

btw with 6.1.4 you will see
nodesize      4096
leafsize 4096
Message 50 of 164
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements