× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.1.6 Configuration Backup problem

dcstar
Aspirant

6.1.6 Configuration Backup problem

I have a RN104 that has just been upgraded to 6.1.6 and I find that I cannot do a Configuration Backup if the "Everything" or "Share Access" options are selected - I just get loading on the web page and no generated file. All other options create a .zip file when selected as they are supposed to.

I use AD Authentication that seems to work fine for NAS operation and I have SMB and NFS shares.

Anyone else have this problem?
Message 1 of 9
Grievous
Aspirant

Re: 6.1.6 Configuration Backup problem

Seems to be working here(I just checked in the latest Chrome 32.0.1700.107). What browser are you using, and do you have any sort of extensions running(like an ad block or anything)?
Message 2 of 9
dcstar
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Seems to be working here(I just checked in the latest Chrome 32.0.1700.107). What browser are you using, and do you have any sort of extensions running(like an ad block or anything)?

I am using Firefox, as I stated the Configuration Backups of the other items work fine, just the Share Access hangs.

I have noticed alert messages which may be related when I try to do this:

System volume 'root' usage is 84 %. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Please contact technical support.

There are a lot of AD entries that the NAS uses for Share Access control, I suspect that the device is running out of space trying to use them to create the backup file - or is stuck in some sort of loop which is also preventing the file creation.
Message 3 of 9
Grievous
Aspirant

Shouldn't be a space issue, might be a timeout though.

Can you tell me how many shares you have and maybe guesstimate how many ACL entries there are per share?

Also, you should indeed heed the advice of that message regarding the free space in root.
Message 4 of 9
dcstar
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Shouldn't be a space issue, might be a timeout though.

Can you tell me how many shares you have and maybe guesstimate how many ACL entries there are per share?

Also, you should indeed heed the advice of that message regarding the free space in root.

I have 3 SMB shares and 1 NFS share. There are almost 200 AD User accounts and 34 AD Groups that appear in the system from our SBS 2003 Domain.

The SMB shares use various group and user permissions for file access.
Message 5 of 9
Grievous
Aspirant

Right, but if you were to look at the UI, how many ACL entries are there? One of my ADS test servers here has 170,000 objects in it, simply having tons of users and groups wouldn't cause what you're seeing.

The other concern is why your root volume is 84% full, since under normal circumstances that shouldn't be happening(did that message happen before or after you tried downloading the config?)
Message 6 of 9
dcstar
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Right, but if you were to look at the UI, how many ACL entries are there? One of my ADS test servers here has 170,000 objects in it, simply having tons of users and groups wouldn't cause what you're seeing.

The other concern is why your root volume is 84% full, since under normal circumstances that shouldn't be happening(did that message happen before or after you tried downloading the config?)

The space message stopped last night after I stopped trying to do the Configuration Backups, I assume that it cleaned itself up.

I don't know where to see the ACL entries on the UI.
Message 7 of 9
Grievous
Aspirant

Pick a share, select the settings button, count up how many entries are listed for network access and file access.

That being said, with the number of shares, users, and groups you've mentioned, I don't see how you would be getting anywhere near something I'd consider "excessive". Contact support about the root volume, because it's possible whatever is filling it might be causing performance to drop and the scripts that generate the config backup to timeout.
Message 8 of 9
dcstar
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Pick a share, select the settings button, count up how many entries are listed for network access and file access.

That being said, with the number of shares, users, and groups you've mentioned, I don't see how you would be getting anywhere near something I'd consider "excessive". Contact support about the root volume, because it's possible whatever is filling it might be causing performance to drop and the scripts that generate the config backup to timeout.

Not many entries on the SMB shares, basically "Everyone" for Network access and 5 or 6 for File access.

I will try to contact support as the root messages are now appearing again about an hour after I kicked off the unsuccessful System Config backup attempt - I assume it has taken that long to fill up the root volume to the alert level.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements