× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.3.3 iSCSI improvements

jaffacake
Tutor

6.3.3 iSCSI improvements

I'm raising an eyebrow at the 6.3.3 iSCSI improvements, how significant are these?

I used iSCSI for a while but found it significantly slower than a simple windows mapped drive so stopped using. What kind of performance should I expect on iSCSI now? Or should I just carry on using UNCs to shares?
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Should be a minor improvement but still nice to have.

Unless you really need to use iSCSI it is better to use alternatives
Message 2 of 6
jaffacake
Tutor

OK, thanks.
Message 3 of 6
WingDog
Guide

@mdgm wrote:
Should be a minor improvement but still nice to have.

Unless you really need to use iSCSI it is better to use alternatives

Sad to read this.

iSCSI is a MUST for SOHO and mid.

But as I can see NTGR is unable to provide any usable iSCSI solution even at 6.x.x OS.

pity

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

My advice on whether you should use iSCSI is general advice and not specific to using the ReadyNAS.

Unless an application you use needs it or you want to use extended windows permissions there is not a good reason to use iSCSI.

Usually an iSCSI problem is caused by a network issue or an issue on a PC. Not understanding iSCSI and how it works, and mounting a target on two PCs at once is a common cause of problems.

Our iSCSI solution works well on current firmware.

The stability enhancements in 6.3.x are useful, but what's most important is correct configuration for the use case and choosing the right NAS for what you want to do. The 516 will handle a much higher load than the 104 for instance.

Message 5 of 6
WingDog
Guide

Hello, mdgm.

I do understand iSCSI usage purposes.

Maybe you can help me to understand "the right way" for NTGR iSCSI?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/MPIO-slow-speed/td-p/964959/jump-to/first-unre...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements