× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 and OS6

paltrude
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 and OS6

I own a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000 with 2GB RAM (upgraded from 1GB), two disks (Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 64MB Cache / 7200RPM / SATA 6Gbs ) and this machine has been running great for many years now.

I recently (2 months ago?) upgraded to OS 6.2.4 since, according to the old site, this was the version for my equipment when upgrading from 4.2.28 [T6]. The upgrade went well and it runs fine although OS6 tells me my Readynas CPU is 72 degrees Celsius while being (mostly) idle which is strange since with 4.2.28 in ran way lower, say about 50 degrees C...

Anyway, I am confused regarding the OS6 versions that are being offered now. Am I correct in assuming that 6.2.5 RC1 is the update for me or should I be looking at 6.3.5 RC2? I remember reading about this when I upgraded but can't find the info anymore.

Thanks in advance from Sweden at 01:45 am. If my spelling sucks, lack of sleep may be a factor.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 and OS6

Once you are running OS6 you just need to keep a look out for new OS6 releases for OS6 x86_64. When a production update is available you will be prompted to update when you open the web admin page.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.3.5-RC2 would be what I would recommend for legacy products.

Message 2 of 16
paltrude
Aspirant

Ok, 6.3.5 RC2 it is then.

Could you elaborate as to why legacy would want 6.3.5 instead of 6.2.5 or why there even are two versions?

Message 3 of 16
paltrude
Aspirant

Wait, the Ultra 2 is X86, 6.3.5 seems to be for ARM? Doesn't that mean 6.2.5 for me?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684/related/1

Edit: Nevermind. Found this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/OLD-ReadyNASOS-6-3-5-RC2-OLD/m-p/935168

Message 4 of 16
paltrude
Aspirant

Updated to 6.3.5 RC2 and everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help.

Is there a thread that I can subscribe to so I'll know when there is a new OS6 update for legacy hardware?

Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Once you are running OS6 you just need to keep a look out for new OS6 releases for OS6 x86_64. When a production update is available you will be prompted to update when you open the web admin page.

Message 6 of 16
paltrude
Aspirant

Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 16
tadgy
Star

I've got the 6.3.5RC2 installed on my Ultra 4 and noticed that the full 6.3.5 release was announced recently - but I could only find download links for the ARM version.

Is there an x86 version of this firmware?  If so, can someone link it here (and maybe update the release info page with the link...).

Cheers.

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@tadgy wrote:

Is there an x86 version of this firmware [6.3.5] ?  If so, can someone link it here (and maybe update the release info page with the link...).

Not at present.

Message 9 of 16
tadgy
Star

Thanks for the confirmation 🙂

I'll keep an eye out for any announcement about it.

Message 10 of 16
F_L_
Tutor

@mdgm wrote:

I´m running Ultra 4 with 6.2.4. Is this the last production for the Ultra? Just wondering since "check for updates" give me nothing and there is a 6.4 beta out. Is the 6.3.5/6.2.5 final for this serie?

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@F_L_ wrote:

I´m running Ultra 4 with 6.2.4. Is this the last production for the Ultra? Just wondering since "check for updates" give me nothing and there is a 6.4 beta out.

Beta releases won't show up in check for updates.  After 6.4 is released it should show up.

Is the 6.3.5/6.2.5 final for this serie?

Netgear of course doesn't support OS6 on your ultra at all.  So I don't know what "final for this series" actually would mean.

But I think the ultra will still be able to run future x86 OS 6 firmware releases.

Message 12 of 16
F_L_
Tutor

Yes I know that they officially did not support the os 6 on ultra. But we could still use the check for update feature which now seemes to have stopped?

Btw is the legacy forum comming back?
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@F_L_ wrote:
 But we could still use the check for update feature which now seemes to have stopped?

6.2.4 is the current production release for the RN300/RN500 line, so check for update is working fine on your ultra.  

As I said, it doesn't find beta releases (and never has).

Btw is the legacy forum coming back?

No. I'm getting used to this one, but still miss the old one.

However I can understand why Netgear would rather have a consolidated forum.   

Message 14 of 16
Frederic1
Aspirant

Hi Everyone,

I also own a RNDU2000 upgraded to 2Gb. Firmware is Radaitor 4 (4.2.28).

I am currently reinstalling it completly to use it as a main NAS.

I didn't know it was possible to upgrade to OS6.

I am not really familiar with that forum, on which I very rarely come ; also I made some research in the search bar but didn't manage to find any relevant topic describing the way to do it (I assume a manual firmware loading thru frontview...), the advantages/drawbacks (speed, reliability), if features are lost or not available due to hardware issues....

Also in case of upgrade to OS6, is it nbeeded to format again all drive (already spend some hours this week end to upload and verify data from backup...)

bref, if you have any link or documentation on the topic, I am really interested in.

Thanks for sharing,

Fred

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

There is an extremely long thread here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

You will need to do a factory reset as part of the migration process.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements