× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T322 (Beta 1): ADS ID Map export not available in RID mode

kevinfff
Aspirant

ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T322 (Beta 1): ADS ID Map export not available in RID mode

This is a test machine, synchronised into AD.  I wanted to test export/import "ADS ID Map" but EXPORT is not available and has the message "NO ADS ID Map export in RID mode" - anyone have a clue what this means?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNASOS 6.5.0-T322 (Beta 1)

The default behavior (when trusted domains are not enabled) is now to not use a database at all, and instead provide consistent SID -> UID/GID mapping using an algorithmic mapping scheme.  So UIDs and GIDs will naturally be consistent across all ReadyNAS systems in the domain.  That's clearly not explained well in that message though.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The default behavior (when trusted domains are not enabled) is now to not use a database at all, and instead provide consistent SID -> UID/GID mapping using an algorithmic mapping scheme.  So UIDs and GIDs will naturally be consistent across all ReadyNAS systems in the domain.  That's clearly not explained well in that message though.

Message 2 of 7
kevinfff
Aspirant

This sounds better than I even expected (if it works!) as this is a major issue for us if the primary file server (NAS) goes down because, even though the secondary NAS has all the shares and files from an rysync, the permissions are all over the place and it takes hours to recreate them all!

Looking forward to seeing this in action.

Incidentally, the "Export" option is suddenly available again.

Will the new permissions mappings correct themselves when each server refreshes from the AD server?

Message 3 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If you have an existing NAS that was using the old mapping scheme, it will continue to use it on upgrade.  In this case, the old box should allow you to export the ID map, which you can import on the new box and it will switch to the original ID mapping method.  Unfortunately there isn't a way for us to automatically convert and existing system to the new scheme.

Message 4 of 7
kevinfff
Aspirant

Will this be a one-off function?  I was just wondering what will happen when the devices re-sync with AD.

Message 5 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I'm not sure if I understand the question.  But I'll try to explain a little more.

The NAS must convert Windows SIDs to UNIX UID/GIDs.  Before, it would do this by storing mappings in a database whenever an account is first authenticated, in sequential fashion based on login order.  Now, the mapping is done by running the RID (part of the SID, and unique for each account in the domain) through an algorithm to calculate a static UID or GID on the NAS.  Since the algorthm is the same on every NAS, the UID or GID will be univerally consistent between NAS units.

Message 6 of 7
kevinfff
Aspirant

That's greatr, thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements