× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[SUGGESTION] "Check for updates" for betas

ZkiiFreak
Aspirant

[SUGGESTION] "Check for updates" for betas

Hi

A feature I'd like to see is the ability to directly upgrade to the latest beta by pressing the "Check for updates" link. This should of course only include looking for beta updates if a beta is installed!

Thanks for the tremendous effort you do
Message 1 of 9
nsne
Virtuoso

Re: [SUGGESTION] "Check for updates" for betas

Bump. I'd like to see this too.
Message 2 of 9
mangrove
Apprentice

I think the process in searching for info about the beta is essential to running it. Some of the betas have had quite serious errors, which is the nature of betas.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

mangrove wrote:
I think the process in searching for info about the beta is essential to running it. Some of the betas have had quite serious errors, which is the nature of betas.
I agree that automatically installing updated betas is not a good idea. Although it's usually not used, there is a way for the release notes to be published and viewed from the admin ui - which I think does address the basic concern you are raising.

FWIW, you can also subscribe to the beta thread here, which should notify you when the beta you're interested in is updated.
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Subscribing to the beta threads is the way to go.
Message 5 of 9
soulburn
Aspirant

I would suggest a checkbox named "include beta" beside the button Check for Update. That way, if the user want to beta update, he only have to check that checkbox and will have the option to update to latest beta build. Otherwise the update check will only search for the latest official release.
Message 6 of 9
cpu8088
Virtuoso

beta versions have lots of bugs

auto update is a no no for me

most times i install the beta and after few days of use revert back to working version for daily usage.

just frequent this website is good enough.
Message 7 of 9
itsjasper
Luminary

Those against are focusing on auto-update of betas.

Those for are asking for notification of betas, the same as what happens with release updates. No-one is asking for an automatic installation of betas.
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well subscribing to the beta thread using the subscribe topic link at the bottom of the page when viewing the beta thread has already been mentioned. I would suggest subscribing to the beta thread.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements