× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading the firmware

skoczko
Aspirant

Upgrading the firmware

Hi Guys,

A quick question -- I want to upgrade the firmware on my DuoV2 to 5.3.8 (from 5.3.8) -- will it wipe out my custom changes on the box? I have e.g added backports/contrib/non-free to my apt sources list and installed some other things using easy_install. I have also changed DNS, smb etc configs a bit.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading the firmware

Some of those changes may be lost especially if you didn't follow the conventions used by the ReadyNAS. If you think it might be a good idea to rearrange where config files are located (or something like that) it isn't.

However adding new files should be fine.

I you simply reboot the ReadyNAS are any of the changes lost? If so you probably need to write them to the sqlite3 database.

A firmware update will overwrite a number of files so you should make a note of your custom changes before doing the update just in case.
Message 2 of 4
skoczko
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm,

All changes I did are persistent across reboots. And I followed Debian conventions (I don't think I know what ReadNAS conventions are) when doing custom changes. So there are some config filed changed under /etc/, some users added. That is pretty much it.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well what I was meaning was that there are config files in places such as /etc/frontview

Some users try moving config files from special directories like that to some place else which is not a good idea.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements