Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to access ReadyCloud files from Android app?

zBernie
Aspirant

Is it possible to access ReadyCloud files from Android app?

I have an RN314, and a couple of Android devices running KitKat. I can access files on my NAS using the ReadyCloud app. Is it possible to access files from an app like QuickOffice, and open a file stored on the NAS? Currently I store documents on Google Drive, and open them from office apps, as well as other android apps.

I don't believe it is, but I thought I'd ask in case I was mistaken. I guess for this type of functionality, ReadyCloud would have to create a shared drive on the android device, like google drive or drop box.

-Thanks

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Is it possible to access ReadyCloud files from Android a

ES File Explorer is what I use.
Message 2 of 7
TonV
Aspirant

@Stevenb: with ES File Explorer, do you connect to Readycloud? If so, can you explain how, I don't see that option...
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

With ES File Explorer I connect to the NAS locally with SMB and remotely with ftps.
Message 4 of 7
zBernie
Aspirant

TonV wrote:
@Stevenb: with ES File Explorer, do you connect to Readycloud? If so, can you explain how, I don't see that option...

I'm referring to opening a file from within an app like QuickOffice (Or any app that can open files). In QuickOffice I can open files which reside on say my Google Drive. It would be nice if the ReadyNAS could act as a drive from which files could be opened directly from apps.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

zBernie wrote:
TonV wrote:

I'm referring to opening a file from within an app like QuickOffice (Or any app that can open files). In QuickOffice I can open files which reside on say my Google Drive. It would be nice if the ReadyNAS could act as a drive from which files could be opened directly from apps.
Understood. ES File Explorer requires you to download first, and then open the file.
Message 6 of 7
Horscht0815
Initiate

I'm appending my question here because I have the very same one.

There is an Android-specific term for what the original thread starter asked for: It's called "Android Document Provider". Basically this is an API, and a storage solution that supports it will show up in any app that allows opening files and that also supports this API. For instance, the Dropbox and Google Drive apps support this API, and if you have an app that supports this (I think most apps do), Dropbox/Google Drive will show up as selectable source there.

A NAS solution which supports this makes life with Andoid WAY MORE easier, because with this you can basically trash Dropbox or Google Drive entirely. The main advantage of these cloud solutions when it comes to Android (or iOS) support is that the storage is available system-wide in more or less any app. For instance, if you use Dropbox, you can view your photos stored on Dropbox from within any Gallery app that supports the Android Document Provider, and I think most do.

Now if we're talking about a home NAS, if its Android app does not support this, it means that you need to use the apps from the NAS vendor or some Explorer-like apps that accesses the NAS via FTP or something, but the NAS storage is not available system-wide, which is a major draw-back, at least IMHO.

Now the question is: Does Netgear support this? I know that Synology recently introduced this feature in the Android as well as in the iOS world.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements