Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issue with turning backup on after having stopped and deleted the backup.

olje
Aspirant

Issue with turning backup on after having stopped and deleted the backup.

I have an issue with the backup I want to do, but does not work.

I triggered a backup of the C:/users from the PC to the NAS314. It all looked OK at first. Then I made the appdata folder visible and the backup was not updated with this folder.

I then stopped the backup and deleted it and reinitiated a new backup for the same folder. Nothing happens except for indexing for 24 hrs. No files in the automatically generated folder on the NAS. Totally empty.

I have been able to replicate the issue for another folder as well after stopping, deleting nad reinitiating a new backup.

All firmwares up-to-date as well as the ReadyCloud app/client.

I may have to return to using Memeo as the backup software to feed the NAS and then use the replicate function to replicate the whole NAS externally to another ReadyNAS.

Any other ideas on how to fix this issue?

The NAS is a ReadyNAS 31400 with 4 4TB drives.

Best Regards,

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello olje,

You might want to try 6.4.2-T59 (Beta 1) and see of same results.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Backing up hidden folders in c:\users via NAS backup jobs is tricky, there are files in there that are locked down (and others that usually open).

If you have another PC, you can try copying AppData to a temp directory on it as a test.

Message 3 of 6
olje
Aspirant

I have done the update to the beta software, but still the same problem. I have deleted the backups and re-initiated them again. Just indexing is being performed. For some of them after re-initiating they say that the backup is complete with a green checkmark, however, no files are in the backup folder.

If I create a new backup with a folder I have not backed up before it works, until I remove the backup and then reinitiate. Then I have the same problem again. Either indexing forever, or no files in the folder in spite of a green check-mark for a completed backup.

There seem to be some serious bugs in the backup function in the Readycloud App, so I will for now use the Memeo Backup software for these backups. 

I hope it is not the same issue when replicating from one ReadyNAS to the other, since I am trying to create a off-site copy of the NAS I have centrally....

Best Regards,

Ola

Message 4 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi olje,

Have you tried using Archive Bit? Does the same behavior occur?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
olje
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

I have looked at the files and some of them have the Archive bit set and some don't.

Nothing is backed up. 

When the backup is deleted and then re-initiated, nothing is backed up. Only the very first time when a backup is initiated for a folder, it is backed up properly.

I would of course like to solve this since the ReadyCloud app is a nice solution, however, for time being I am using the Memeo Pro back-up from the PC to the Ready-NAS. The Memeo seems to be able to back-up the files from the Program Data and Users directories even if some of the files are being used. Good for all the pre-sets I use for the Creative Suite.

I will then sub-sequently replicate the NAS to a second NAS that will be off-site. However, currently since some days, the replication portal is down and cannot be accessed. I have asked Netgear to notify me when the portal is up running again.

Best Regards,

Ola

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements