Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Online (VPN Disconnected)

ivanmalek
Aspirant

Online (VPN Disconnected)

firmware 6.6.1, ReadyCloud Client v 1.15., windows 10 pro, the NAS is accessed through the internet

been having this problem for a while now and it's starting to drive me crazy. The desktop client is unable to connect to my NAS, returning the VPN Disconnected message, while the readycloud web portal works flawlessly on the same computer at the same time.

From time to time, I manage to get the desktop client to work for a few minutes after logging out and in again(1 in 10 attempts), just to find it reporting a syncing error after a few minutes of syncing. I was hoping this was just a bug on Netgear's side, that would be solved if given enough time, but the desktop client has been doing this for more than half a year now and without being able to back-up my work, it's pretty pointless to have a NAS.

Anyone else having the same problem with more luck solving it?

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 37
jak0lantash
Mentor

I would start by updating the ReadyCLOUD app and the ReadyNAS firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038857/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-5

You could also check the firewall on the Windows machine.

If your computer and NAS are on the same LAN, there are other (and imho better) ways to backup your data to the NAS.

Message 2 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply. The computer and the NAS are not on the same LAN, the desktop client should be the current version, the NAS was a few versions behind, but is giving me an error when trying to check for updates: Operation timeout, Connection error. Check your internet connection or DNS settings. (I tried adding the 8.8.8.8 Ip to the IPv4 list as suggested in another thread here, also disabled IPv6, enabled it again though, after it didn't help). Now I've updated the firmware manually, so I should be up to date on everything, but the Check for updates error keeps popping up even with the new firmware, I'll see tomorrow at work, if it helped with the sync issue, but I'm not too confident it will.

I'll be most thankful for other tips that might lead to getting my NAS to work again.

Message 3 of 37
jak0lantash
Mentor

Well, if the firmware update check fails due to Internet connectivity issues, ReadyCLOUD surely ain't gonna work properly either. You should troubleshoot that.
How's the NIC set up?
Message 4 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

thanks for your patience with me so far.  I have to admit to being a very inexperienced user. What does NIC mean? Where do I find the related settings? Thank you in advance.

Message 5 of 37
bedlam1
Prodigy

NIC = Network Interface Card, which is what your network cable(s) are plugged into (you may want to check that they are, securely, at both ends)

You will find the settings using the Web GUI Admin Page, under Network 

Message 6 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification, but what exactly am I looking for in those settings? nothing seems to be out of the ordinary at first sight, no ERROR messages, no bright red text. The weird thing is, as I mentioned in my first post, that I can access the files through the readycloud web-portal, it's just the desktop app that doesn't work... and the update checking, as I found out yesterday.

Message 7 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@ivanmalek wrote:

The weird thing is, as I mentioned in my first post, that I can access the files through the readycloud web-portal, it's just the desktop app that doesn't work... and the update checking, as I found out yesterday.

That is weird, since the if you can't check for firmware updates, the NAS shouldn't be able to reach Readycloud either.

Is the NAS using DHCP or have you assigned a static address?

Are you using both ethernet connections, or just one?  If you are using both, then what bonding mode are you using?

Message 8 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

Hi, I'm just using one ethernet connection, under the eth0 settings, the IPv4 is configured to "using DHCP" with one IP address defined under DNS servers, the IPv6 is set to "Automaticall/DHCP", no DNS servers defined here. 

Message 9 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  

Disable IPv6 in the NAS and see if that helps.

Message 10 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

Tried that yesterday, didn't help with the inability to check for updates, haven't tried if it helps with the accessability of the NAS to the desktop app. I'll try it tomorrow, when I'm at work. btw. do I need to do a restart for the disabling of IPv6 to take effect, or should it have an effect right away?

Message 11 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@ivanmalek wrote:

do I need to do a restart for the disabling of IPv6 to take effect, or should it have an effect right away?

No need to restart.  FWIW, I was thinking specifically about the accessiblity to the desktop app for this.

@ivanmalek wrote:

Tried that yesterday, didn't help with the inability to check for updates...

Try adding 8.8.8.8 to the DNS configuration.  That is google's open DNS server.

Message 12 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

tried disabling IPv6, now I can't get back into the admin site, even the suggested IP adress in the warning message throws a 404 error. It did work yesterday though. Any idea on how to regain access to the admin page? thanks in advance

Message 13 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@ivanmalek wrote:

tried disabling IPv6, now I can't get back into the admin site,

That is very unusual behavior.  Did you look in your router to see if the NAS shows up on it's attached device list?  Perhaps the IPv4 address isn't what you think it is.

Message 14 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

it's definitely attached, I can still access my files through readycloud.netgear.com, just not the admin page. but it did work yesterday, I tried both disabling IPv6 and the 8.8.8.8 DNS in the hopes of solving the update issue, while it didn't help, I was at least able to get it back to default.

Message 15 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

ok... so after a restart of my NAS, I could at least access the admin page again, until I tried to add the 8.8.8.8 DNS, which didn't help, so I tried another restart and now I can't access the admin page again. This just seems too random and it's really frustrating.

Message 16 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

aaand... another restart later, I'm able to access the admin page again, but even with IPv6 disabled and 8.8.8.8 added unded under DNS, the NAS is still unable to chceck for updates.

Message 17 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Is the NTP time server working?

Message 18 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

sorry for the stupid questions, but where do I check? Also, disabling IPv6 and adding 8.8.8.8 didn't help with the desktop app, while at first I got the Online(VPN disconnected) message, it later changed to OFFLINE... not that it made much difference from the user perspective.

Message 19 of 37
StephenB
Guru

Download the log zip file, and open system.log

Search for ntp:  

IF NTP is working, you will see messags like ntp: adjust (slew): -0.000966 sec

If those messages aren't there, then likely your NAS isn't reaching Netgear's time servers either.

Message 20 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

thanks, there's a bunch of those in the logs:

Jun 27 23:24:45 nas-6C-93-62 connmand[1844]: ntp: adjust (jump): -0.750848 sec
Jun 27 23:25:00 nas-6C-93-62 connmand[1844]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000082 sec
Jun 27 23:25:16 nas-6C-93-62 connmand[1844]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.016095 sec
Jun 27 23:25:48 nas-6C-93-62 connmand[1844]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.023947 sec
Jun 27 23:26:52 nas-6C-93-62 connmand[1844]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.004881 sec

so the problem is probably elsewhere

Message 21 of 37
StephenB
Guru

@ivanmalek wrote:

thanks, there's a bunch of those in the logs:

Jun 27 23:24:45 nas-6C-93-62 connmand[1844]: ntp: adjust (jump): -0.750848 sec

This means that your NAS is reaching the internet.

So it is odd that the NAS can't reach the firmware update server.

Message 22 of 37
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ivanmalek,

I would recommend to manually upgrade the firmware of the NAS locally, please follow the steps form the link here. If you are coming from the firmware 6.6.1 you will need to do a firmware stops, you will need to upgrade to firmware version 6.7.x before upgrading to the latest version 6.7.5 you may download the firmware from here.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 37
ivanmalek
Aspirant

Hi Marty_M,

thanks for the reply, I've already updated to 6.7.5 manually, from what I understood after reading the warnings, an update from 6.6.1 to 6.7.5 should be possible without inbetween updates, the warning was for version 6.3.x and lower and the desired inbetween update for this scenario was version 6.5.x, so I think my issue shouldn't be caused by out-of-date firmware.

Message 24 of 37
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ivanmalek,

The concern might not be a firmware related but it is still good start troubleshooting with the latest firmware version running on the device. I will send a PM for possible isolation steps we can try for this matter.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements