Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 LAN access only. Cannot access Internet

Zonker
Apprentice

RN102 LAN access only. Cannot access Internet

I set up this NAS and it is unable to reach the internet while accessing LAN is no problem.  When I try to enter Readycloud info on the Cloud tab, I get invalid ID/Password (I can login fine on Readycloud page).  Also can't install apps.  Prompts me to download new list of apps and that fails.  Not sure what is causing this.  When I fist plugged it in I could discover it, now that does not work either.  Manually downloaded the latest firmware and succesfully applied it, but that did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 LAN access only. Cannot access Internet

@Zonker wrote:

When I check for the firmware update on the Overview page - nothing happens.  When i click on the check for updates on the settings page I get the spinning wheel, but nothing happens when it stops.  Seems like neither are hitting the internet.

I have the Netgear C3700 router/modem and it looks like IPv4 is only option

The product datasheet claims it does, but there are no settings for it shown in the user manual.  In newer Netgear routers, there is an IPv6 control in the advanced setup menu.  Maybe take another look and see if you can spot it.  If not, disable it on the NAS just in case.  Also if you have parental controls enabled, try disabling them and retest.

Do you have a spare disk?  One path forward is to shut down, remove your disks (labeling by slot), and doing a fresh install on the spare disk.  All data on the spare disk would be lost (so it shouldn't be part of your array, and it shouldn't have anything on it you care about).  It doesn't need to be on the HCL, as this is just a test to see if the problem is the NAS software, or something else.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you set a static I.P. address in the NAS configuration. If so, did you forget to specify the DNS server addresses? If you do have those specified you could try adding an additional DNS server entry e.g. 8.8.8.8

Message 2 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

@mdgm wrote:

Did you set a static I.P. address in the NAS configuration. If so, did you forget to specify the DNS server addresses? If you do have those specified you could try adding an additional DNS server entry e.g. 8.8.8.8

No, I'm using the default DHCP automatic assignment. So all DNS are filled in. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

And are those DNS server addresses correct?

You could still try adding 8.8.8.8.

Message 4 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

I manually added the 8.8.8.8 to DNS and it did not resolve the issue

Message 5 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Zonker,

I found that you are still entitled to the phone support. Please contact support center so they can have a look and escalate if needed.

Regards,

Message 6 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

No unfortunately I'm not entitled to support.  That is why I posted the question here

Message 7 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Zonker,

Is this a pre-owned unit? When did you buy this NAS?

Regards,

Message 8 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

I purchased this week from eBay seller.  Support told me that it was not covered because of this.  It was an open box item

Message 9 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Zonker,

That must the reason, that is a pre-owned.

Moving forward, what is the current firmware version of your NAS?

Regards,

Message 10 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

I downloaded and instaled the latest version 6.4.1 

Message 11 of 17
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Zonker,

This NAS is connected to the same switch/router the LAN computers are, right?

Can you try 6.4.2-T72 (Beta 2)?

Regards,

Message 12 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

Yes all on same switch/router and I have another brand NAS with no issues as well.  Not sure about the firmware change as the old version 6.2.5  didn't work either.  Is there anything I can post for the logs?

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Hi Zonker

I understand that ReadyCloud and App install aren't working.  That could be due to lack of internet access, but it conceivably could be something else.  Try "check for update" and see if it tells you that it can't reach the update server.

Also, do you have IPv6 enabled in your router (and the NAS).  Or only IPv4?

Message 14 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

When I check for the firmware update on the Overview page - nothing happens.  When i click on the check for updates on the settings page I get the spinning wheel, but nothing happens when it stops.  Seems like neither are hitting the internet.

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Zonker wrote:

The product datasheet claims it does, but there are no settings for it shown in the user manual.  In newer Netgear routers, there is an IPv6 control in the advanced setup menu.  Maybe take another look and see if you can spot it.  If not, disable it on the NAS just in case.  Also if you have parental controls enabled, try disabling them and retest.

Do you have a spare disk?  One path forward is to shut down, remove your disks (labeling by slot), and doing a fresh install on the spare disk.  All data on the spare disk would be lost (so it shouldn't be part of your array, and it shouldn't have anything on it you care about).  It doesn't need to be on the HCL, as this is just a test to see if the problem is the NAS software, or something else.

Message 16 of 17
Zonker
Apprentice

I could not find the IPv6 settings on the Netgear C3700-100NAS modem/router to disable them.  Instead, I disabled the IPv6 settings on the RN10200 under Network gear icon and rebooted.  Now when I click on "check for updates" link on the Overview page and the Check For Updates button on the Settings page, it now returns "Your System Does not need a Firmware Update".  I also see the green checkboxes for Internet Available and Services Available under the cloud tab which were not there before.

So looks like it is now fixed.  Thanks for all your help!

Z

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements