Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS102 - Readycloud partial share failure

rf19
Aspirant

ReadyNAS102 - Readycloud partial share failure

Up to end of 2018 I had used Readycloud to give family members access to the Pictures share on my RN102 (I've used both password protected links, and inviting via email [which prompts them to create their own passwords]). After recently updating the access (sending new email invites) after the old ones expired, my family can see all of the folders within the Pictures share, but can only view or access files in 2 out of about 20 folders. The other folders just don't show any content at all (even though I can see them myself via either my local NAS access or via my own ReadyCloud access).

This problem remains after deleting and resetting access, via link or via email invite. I have not made any specific changes to settings per folder.

Anyone have any ideas?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS102 - Readycloud partial share failure

Try going into the NAS admin web ui.  Select the settings wheel for the Picture share, and then select the "file access" tab.

You'll see a "reset" control on the right of the page. Click on that, and then click on "reset permissions".

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @rf19

Welcome to the Community!

Have you updated your firmware? you may want to check and see if a NAS reboot could help. Checking the NIC settings for DNS servers might help as well.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 10
rf19
Aspirant

Hi Marc_V, yes I'm running 6.9.5 and in fact had updated not long before the issue became apparent (although not clear it was directly related). Not sure how I would check those settings, or what I would be looking for (what may be set incorrectly).

Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@rf19 wrote:

Not sure how I would check those settings, or what I would be looking for (what may be set incorrectly).

Is your NAS set up to use the default DHCP (automatic IP address assignment), or did you change that to use a static IP address?

Message 4 of 10
rf19
Aspirant

It's on a fixed IP. Same one for more than a year.
Message 5 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @rf19

You can go to Network tab and use the cogwheel on the Ethernet port to access the settings

if your NAS is set to static, you may want to add DNS servers like google (8.8.8.8) and your router address. Also, changing it to DHCP might help.

Message 6 of 10
rf19
Aspirant

Hello Marc_V, I've checked the network settings (and switched them from static to DHCP), however the problem persists. When looking more closely, and checking folder security / sharing settings via Windows Explorer, I find that the individual folders within my Pictures share have different share settings. I have tried manually updating the sharing settings (which works, and the external user starts to get access), but I would prefer to find a way to have the access rights inherited down from the Pictures share to all sub-folders. 

It seems strange considering that I have not (and don't even know how) to specify different permissions for folders within a share. Can this be due to the recent Firmware update?

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
rf19
Aspirant

Just to clarify, the settings I'm referring to are specifically in the folder Properties box, under the Security tab; under Group/Usernames, I see in some folders that my external user's username is present (for those folders he happens to have access to). For other folders their username is not in the list. This is all despite me sharing the shared Pictures folder at the top level via ReadyCloud.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try going into the NAS admin web ui.  Select the settings wheel for the Picture share, and then select the "file access" tab.

You'll see a "reset" control on the right of the page. Click on that, and then click on "reset permissions".

Message 9 of 10
rf19
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB - that seems to have done the trick!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements