Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote Access other than ReadyCloud

filipinasdelta
Aspirant

Remote Access other than ReadyCloud

Hi all,

I'm starting this discussing to hopefully get some help towards remote access.
We've got around 5 laptops that we'd like to access the Nas externaly, we used to use 'ReadyNas Remote' which was simple and when an update didn't break it worked like a charm, now that's that has been replaced by 'ReadyCloud' which breaks more often because of updates  and setup takes more to it (not so seamless) we find it's not worth using because it's so unreliable.

What other tool, I'm guessing third-party would you guys recommend to be used in this Nas and windows 7/10 laptops via the WAN?

Cheers, much appreciate in advance.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remote Access other than ReadyCloud

ZeroTier and OwnCloud have similar features to ReadyCloud (and both are used by folks here).

FTPS is another possibility, (requiring some port forwarding in the router, and DDNS).   There are several clients that support drag/drop.

I use OpenVPN (installed in my Orbi router), with TeamViewer as a fallback mechanism.  I don't need multiple accounts though (or the ability to turn off access for someone).

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I use ZeroTier.  Unfortunately, the current app for ReadyNAS is very out of date and the developer disappeared from the scene just a short time after releasing it.  It does still work as of OS 6.8.0, or you can install a newer version via standard Linux commands in SSH.

It's operation is much more like ReadyNAS Remote was than ReadyCloud.  You activate the connections and then the NAS and other devices running ZeroTier just work like they were on a secondary local network.  It even allows NAS-to-NAS remote access for things like offsite backup.

Message 3 of 5
filipinasdelta
Aspirant

Do you know where I can get ZeroTier from?
I went to their website but they haven't got it available for ReadyNas.

Cheers,

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

There's a version here: https://github.com/NAStools/zerotierone/releases/tag/readynas%2F1.1.14-nt3

It's not the latest, but it does work.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements