Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sync issues with the ReadyCloud Desktop App

pplu
Aspirant

Sync issues with the ReadyCloud Desktop App

I've got an RN104. Just update firmware to 6.2.0, and downloaded and installed the ReadyCloud Desktop App. While I definitely like the new UI than the ReadyNAS Remote, I have some issues/questions regarding the sync function of the new app:

1. Can I designate a folder on my PC to sync with a ReadyNAS folder?

2. somewhat in relation to the above question, can I change the default location of ReadyCloud folder (under User) to somewhere else?

Looking forward to your suggestion/advice, folks.

Steve

Message 1 of 14
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: Sync issues with the ReadyCloud Desktop App

It appears that it creates a different folder on the NAS. So the answer to your second questions is no.
Message 2 of 14
pplu
Aspirant

Thanks Nhelie. What I mean was the ReadyCloud folder on PC, not on NAS though.
Message 3 of 14
Nhellie
Virtuoso

ah, got it.

this is the other way around on the NAS though.

If you select "Sync with PC", the selected share (folder) on the NAS will be sync(ed) to your PC. It will create a folder inside the windows user folder.
Message 4 of 14
ibizalover
Aspirant

Hi,

I own a ReadyNas 104 and I would like to use it to build my personal cloud instead of using Dropbox or Google Drive.

While the UI and user experience seems much more friendly with the new ReadyCloud desktop app for windows, I'm currently experiencing an issue that is a definitive blocker for me!

I would to sync folders from my NAS to all my computers. These folders appear well in the ReadyCloud desktop app, however I can't decide where I would like to sync them on my computer. When I choose the "sync with PC" option, it automatically creates a new folder in c:\users

I'm using a small SSD for my OS and a standard big HDD to store my docs. I would like to be able to assign a specific location for each folder i want to sync.

Is this something planned in a future update? Any ETA?

Any solution for me? I saw on this forum I'm not the only annoyed by this issue 🙂

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sam
Message 5 of 14
Nhellie
Virtuoso

ibizalover,

That is a great suggestion, however I have not seen any posts regarding future plans of having the sync option to choose which folder on the computer it can be synced with (maybe it is intended not to be changed at all). I believe the main reason for it to default on the c:\users folder is because it is a fixed location on a PC, not like an SSD or USB HDD that can be removed. For example, if there is an option to choose the folder and you select the USB HDD, and the USB HDD is not plugged in -- it might cause the sync to fail.
Message 6 of 14
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Nhellie wrote:
ibizalover,
I believe the main reason for it to default on the c:\users folder is because it is a fixed location on a PC, not like an SSD or USB HDD that can be removed. For example, if there is an option to choose the folder and you select the USB HDD, and the USB HDD is not plugged in -- it might cause the sync to fail.

Had to come back on that point, Nhellie. For a whole hosts of logical and best practice reasons, I have for a long time, saved my data from applications to a seperate HDD in my PCs, rather than using the 'default' C:/users folder (simplified backup and restore is the main one that comes to mind). Why on earth would we constrain users so heavily to a default set of folders for synching? If an inexperienced user moves the folder on the PC and breaks the synch, they will be notified that they made a mistake and can easily rectify it. I have lots of praise for Netgear's release of such a useful capability, but let's not treat all users like children....I, for one, am waiting patiently for an updated relase of the Synch app so I can actually use it the way I want to use it, which is how a lot of other vendors allow their users to work with similar applications. :wink:
Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

JohnNulty wrote:
For a whole hosts of logical and best practice reasons, I have for a long time, saved my data from applications to a separate HDD in my PCs.
I do this also (using a separate drive partition on my laptops). On work machines, I do this to separate work and personal files. On all machines I have some data on the C drive (including \user), but I do keep that relatively light so my image backups of the C drive don't get too large.

Sync clearly needs to let you chose any folders on your PC, its a stupid design to do otherwise.
Message 8 of 14
grimloch
Aspirant

I used a symlink in one my c:/users folders that points to another folder on my e: drive.

It's kind of dirty but it works. It's full of 100+GB of music that I manage on my PC, which then syncs through ReadyDROP to one readynas on a LAN and another remotely. This allows me to have all of my music available at home and the office.

It would have been more convenient if it was possible to readydrop folders from NAS to NAS, but this solution is good enough for now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

grimloch wrote:
It would have been more convenient if it was possible to readydrop folders from NAS to NAS, but this solution is good enough for now.
Probably a bit difficult for most users though.

I play with the ReadyCloud stuff from time to time, but so far haven't seen enough to commit to using it for real (both features and performance). It does seem to be moving in the right direction but not as quickly as it should be.

There''s a huge opportunity here, especially if Netgear includes their routers in the overall solution. No need for data to traverse the Netgear servers if their routers are on the path and can do the heavy lifting. There's still time for them to capitalize, but the window won't last forever.
Message 10 of 14
JohnNulty
Apprentice

With you all the way, StephenB ....
Message 11 of 14
ibizalover
Aspirant

Hi guys,

It's a shame that we still do not have an update for the Readycloud Desktop App. It's been so many months now that it has been released... And still the same version... I was expecting more support from Netgear on this feature...

Can someone explain me how to create this symlink? I try to find on the web but not sure of how it's working...

grimloch wrote:
I used a symlink in one my c:/users folders that points to another folder on my e: drive.

It's kind of dirty but it works. It's full of 100+GB of music that I manage on my PC, which then syncs through ReadyDROP to one readynas on a LAN and another remotely. This allows me to have all of my music available at home and the office.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance.

Sam
Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Try this link first: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -a-library I'm not sure if this will be picked up by Readycloud, but it is worth a try.

Or create a soft symbolic link using this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/co ... -or-linux/
Message 13 of 14
ranc
Aspirant

Yep,  yep and  yep.  This whole thing has been a massive disappointment to me and I figured it was such basic functionality that it was my lack of understanding rather than Netgear not offering it in the client.

Feel like I've been duped 😞

When is this functionality coming out?  Is it?

Ros

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements