Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iPhone Media Backed up to ReadyNas/Cloud - If deleting on iPhone (to free space) - Sync on NAS?

JoeM143
Aspirant

iPhone Media Backed up to ReadyNas/Cloud - If deleting on iPhone (to free space) - Sync on NAS?

Subject says it all.

But i'm backing up an iPhone 6 with the ReadyCloud app to the NAS with no issues.

Question is, after Backup is completed. Is it safe to clear Photos from iPhone and assume the backups will not SYNC or delete from NAS?

Has anyone tried this? just making sure before i remove them on the iPhone.

**Incase of any AppleFan boy repsonses to just saving it to Apple's iCloud ---> Our iCloud is full and I dont want to pay for additional storage, especially since we have 10TB of private cloud storage from the ReadyNAS.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JoeM143
Aspirant

Re: iPhone Media Backed up to ReadyNas/Cloud - If deleting on iPhone (to free space) - Sync on NAS?

Nevermind - looks like the Backup folder is sync'd. So any photos/media deleted on the iPhone will also be deleted on the NAS.

I have found a work around though -

1. Allow iPhone to fully backup to ReadyCloud/NAS

2. Make copy of that folder (on NAS) to another location  and rename (e.g. Backup_date_ or whatever)

3. Delete Photos on iPhone and allow the ReadyNAS app to Sync again with ReadyCloud/NAS

This will effectively clear up space on iPhone and allow wipe the sync folder on the ReadyNAS. (Starting a new BackUp session until iPhone runs out of space again)

Also while also preserving previous Media in backup.

i hate stupid iPhones limitation with no External Storage Card - but this works and its cheaper (and more control) than iCloud.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iPhone Media Backed up to ReadyNas/Cloud - If deleting on iPhone (to free space) - Sync on NAS?

Hello JoeM143,

When you back up a file to the NAS via ReadyCloud, they will be stored to the home share for the ReadyCloud user. You can access it locally as admin.

It is safe unless you delete the share, but then again, we always recommend to always have full back up.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
JoeM143
Aspirant

Nevermind - looks like the Backup folder is sync'd. So any photos/media deleted on the iPhone will also be deleted on the NAS.

I have found a work around though -

1. Allow iPhone to fully backup to ReadyCloud/NAS

2. Make copy of that folder (on NAS) to another location  and rename (e.g. Backup_date_ or whatever)

3. Delete Photos on iPhone and allow the ReadyNAS app to Sync again with ReadyCloud/NAS

This will effectively clear up space on iPhone and allow wipe the sync folder on the ReadyNAS. (Starting a new BackUp session until iPhone runs out of space again)

Also while also preserving previous Media in backup.

i hate stupid iPhones limitation with no External Storage Card - but this works and its cheaper (and more control) than iCloud.

Message 3 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JoeM143,

Thanks for the feedback and the workaround that you've shared. Other members might find this thread helpful if they encounter the same. Should you have any questions, just update this thread or create a new one.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team​​

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements