× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ADMIN TESTING: How do I close one NAS account in Windows 10 to test access for another NAS user?

MCDelaware
Tutor

ADMIN TESTING: How do I close one NAS account in Windows 10 to test access for another NAS user?

I dont know if I need to reboot my Windows 10 PC every time I change something on the NAS or I need to reboot the NAS itself, or both, just to test each admin change.

It seems that no matter what I try, I just end up chasing my tail trying to get a Windows 10 user on my home LAN (wireless or attached) to have the proper access.

Lately, I seem to only earn this Windows 10 error:

"Windows cannot access \\NAS\userabc

You do not have permission to access .......  Contact your network administrator to request access."

Problem is that I am the home "admin".

I got a wierd one today where I added a user, tried to sign-on as that one but could not with similar message to the above. BUT, W10 File Manager rather suddenly  shows the named folder for the new user but below the "home" folder, not within it like prior users I added!

I am running 6.10.3

So far, this H/W and S/W has been near useless to me!

HELP ?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ADMIN TESTING: How do I close one NAS account in Windows 10 to test access for another NAS user?

Windows only lets you use one set of credentials with the NAS at a time.

If you are accessing the NAS with multiple accounts from the same PC, then the simplest way to clear the history is to open CMD and enter

net use * /delete /y

One trick you might find helpful:  Windows treats the NAS hostname and the NAS IP address as two different machines.  So you can access the NAS in file explorer usiing the IP address + admin credentials, and simultaneously access it using hostname + user credentials.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Windows only lets you use one set of credentials with the NAS at a time.

If you are accessing the NAS with multiple accounts from the same PC, then the simplest way to clear the history is to open CMD and enter

net use * /delete /y

One trick you might find helpful:  Windows treats the NAS hostname and the NAS IP address as two different machines.  So you can access the NAS in file explorer usiing the IP address + admin credentials, and simultaneously access it using hostname + user credentials.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements