× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android app for managing RAIDiator 4 (x86) devices

doylmi
Guide

Android app for managing RAIDiator 4 devices

I've been experimenting with Android development recently and wrote a small app to manage my Ultra 6 as a learning exercise. Should be compatible with any device running RAIDiator 4. The app itself requires Android 2.2+.

Right now it does a few basic things.

- Shutdown/Restart/Wake-on-Lan
- Display device information (hardware/firmwide, network interfaces, drives, etc)
- Show volume capacity/usage information
- Fan/CPU temps
- Display log history

Check it out, and let me know what you think.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.nasutils
Message 1 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

Very nice. NTGR could learn on development like this.
Message 2 of 16
horim80
Guide

Can I monitor a NAS from remote?
Message 3 of 16
doylmi
Guide

From remote as in over the internet? Yes. You just need to make sure you set up port forwarding as appropriate. WOL over the WAN is a bit tricky, not all of the home grade routers support port forwarding to a broadcast address.
Message 4 of 16
tiranor
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Very nice. NTGR could learn on development like this.

It's sad that, again, the community has to do the job the company should have already done...
Message 5 of 16
tiranor
Aspirant

Just tested it : awesome.

I just have a bug with the display of the storage capacity (my NAS is 68% full, but the writings are too big, so half the text is cut), and it displays a limit of -10240MB

After that, it would be great if we could acces the SMART informations of the disks.
Message 6 of 16
doylmi
Guide

Thank for the feedback so far.

tiranor wrote:
I just have a bug with the display of the storage capacity (my NAS is 68% full, but the writings are too big, so half the text is cut), and it displays a limit of -10240MB

I'll take a look at this over the weekend. Issue tracker: https://github.com/MichaelDoyle/nasutils-android/issues/17

tiranor wrote:
After that, it would be great if we could acces the SMART informations of the disks.

WIll look into this. https://github.com/MichaelDoyle/nasutils-android/issues/19
Message 7 of 16
doylmi
Guide

@tiranor, the display issue should be fixed now. Published a new version to the store. Ended up taking a different approach with the usage meter that I think will be more useful.

Also added support for earlier versions of Android over the weekend. The app will now support as far back as Gingerbread (2.2+).

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. 🙂
Message 8 of 16
tiranor
Aspirant

Tested it this morning when google play told me there was an update.

The display is fixed, thanks 🙂

But i still have, right under that, and over the snapshot size, a line with "limit : -10240MB", and i don't really know what it is.

Other than that, keep going 🙂
Message 9 of 16
doylmi
Guide

Pushed out an incremental release last night.

- Added better device "health" information (temp guages, ups, fan rpms, etc)
- Bug fixes

I'm not sure about the -10240 MB, but I have seen the same on many devices. To be honest, I don't know what this is used for exactly. If I can't find out, I'll probably just remove it. 🙂

Most likely I'll do the SMART info in the next release.
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I wonder if that is referring to the default 10GB snapshot space allocated (on Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pioneer you get no choice about how much snapshot space you get as it is only used for the Online Filesystem Consistency Check).

If you have a NVX (BE) or Pro BE or Pro Series device you could check by doing a factory default, selecting a different snapshot size using RAIDar during the 10 minute countdown then checking what output you get from the app.
Message 11 of 16
tiranor
Aspirant

The 10 GB snapshot is the line right under the "limit : -10240MB" 🙂
Message 12 of 16
doylmi
Guide

Pushed out version 1.4 tonight. Should be available soon. Mostly bug fixes and usability improvements, including improved error messages and progress bars to indicate when data is loading.

Gradually over the summer I will release additional features. I will try for bi-weekly releases. Smart disk information is still on my radar, as well as OS6 support. You can see the full list and add your own requests and/or bug reports on github:

https://github.com/MichaelDoyle/nasutils-android/issues?state=open

Finally, Google Play just added a feature for Alpha and Beta testing. If you are interested in being a beta tester for future releases, drop me a PM and I'll add you to the group.
Message 13 of 16
doylmi
Guide

Update for version 1.5 will be pushed out shortly and includes:

- SMART+ Disk Information
- "Locate" disk functionality (blink LCD)
- Properly display disk serial numbers
- Minor bug fixes
Message 14 of 16
ctc2
Aspirant

Thanks for the development of this app. Looking forward to mulit-nas support (I see that as as future milestone).
Message 15 of 16
doylmi
Guide

Re: Android app for managing RAIDiator 4 devices

Been working with a few folks testing out the NV+ v1 and Duo v1. There's still some polishing to do, but the end result is that I've pushed out some fixes tonight that should make the app compatible with RAIDiator 4.1 (Sparc) devices. Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Some features such as WOL may not be available for a particular device. My aim is to make the UI more dynamic in the future and only show features that are available for a given device.

OS6 support will come soon.

If anyone has Duo v2 or NV+ v2 and wants to help me out, I would love to see if RAIDiator 5 is also possible to support.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements