× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot copy files to Transmission "Downloads" directory

ReadyJustin
Guide

Cannot copy files to Transmission "Downloads" directory

I'm running the Transmission 3.0.0.8 with ReadyNAS OS 6.4.1. When I try to copy files to the Downloads directory I get a permission denied error. Is this "by design" or is something wrong here? 'ls' shows me as the owner of the directory and there don't appear to be any ACLs.

What I'm trying to accomplish is loading already-downloaded data, then adding the torrents in Transmission and doing a "verify local data" to begin seeding them there. Is there another way I should go about this?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ReadyJustin
Guide

(For anyone finding this later), since you cannot add files to the default Transmission and Incomplete folders:

1. Create a new folder in the Transmission network share named "Seed" and copy your file(s) there.

2. Get the .torrent file for the torrent (right click the entry in your Transmission list and "Save Torrent File As" if in another Transmission instance).

3. Open the torrent file in Transmission via the web interface or Transmission Remote GUI.

4. Specify your path for Destination folder, like /data/Transmission/Seed

5. Click ok, and Transmission will verify the data.

6. After data verification is complete, do "Force start" on the torrent.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ReadyJustin,

Are you already getting this error before updating to 6.4.1?

Are you still able to launch Transmission from the admin page?

Regards, 

Message 2 of 9
ReadyJustin
Guide

Yes to both. I also removed Transmission, removed the share, then reinstalled the app.
Message 3 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ReadyJustin,

I think this is the default behavior by design. When I tried to copy files on the root of the transmission share or folder, I have R/W access. but read only to the subfolders (downloads, incomplete and config).

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
ReadyJustin
Guide

As a test, I installed SickBeard. I'm able to copy files to the root of the sickbeard share, but not the Blackhole directory. The permissions show the same for both, just like for Transmission. In both cases I can copy to the root of the share but no directories as you said.

Is there any method to get the data to be seen by Transmission?

Message 5 of 9
ReadyJustin
Guide

(For anyone finding this later), since you cannot add files to the default Transmission and Incomplete folders:

1. Create a new folder in the Transmission network share named "Seed" and copy your file(s) there.

2. Get the .torrent file for the torrent (right click the entry in your Transmission list and "Save Torrent File As" if in another Transmission instance).

3. Open the torrent file in Transmission via the web interface or Transmission Remote GUI.

4. Specify your path for Destination folder, like /data/Transmission/Seed

5. Click ok, and Transmission will verify the data.

6. After data verification is complete, do "Force start" on the torrent.

Message 6 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ReadyJustin,

Thanks for sharing the workaround that you did. I hope other members of the community will find this thread helpful if they're interested to have read/write access to the default torrent destination folder.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
ReadyJustin
Guide

Just 1 more note, which will come in handy for a bulk migration: you can multi-select torrent entries in Transmission for saving .torrent files as well as when doing the "open" action from the remote interface. Hope it helps someone out!

Message 8 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ReadyJustin,

Great! Thanks for the additional info. I hope you will continue to share and post ideas in the community.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements