× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to reset login password for ReadyNAS Surveillance

decnal
Aspirant

How to reset login password for ReadyNAS Surveillance

Hello,

I installed the ReadyNAS Surveillance App several months ago to have a look-see and at that time changed the admin password to something more secure. I am now ready to connect a camera but I can't remember the password. 

Is there some way to reset the Surveillance App password without doing a factory reset of the nas and having to restore all the data from backup?

I have tried uninstalled and reinstalled the Surveillance App and have reinstalled the OS from the boot menu, which resets the main admin password but not the Surveillance App password.

Thank you

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

@StephenB wrote:

I believe that Surveillance is supposed to use the NAS admin password.  You might need L3 support's help to resolve this.

The default credentials are admin / password, but Surveillance uses a separate user database from the ReadyNAS.

@decnal wrote:

Thanks for the help guys - I'll give customer support a try

Shouldn't even need a call to support.

1. If you haven't changed the ReadyNAS admin user password (from the default password), you'll need to do that.
  2. Login to your volume's SMB share (default volume is data), like \\your_nas\data with the admin user.
  3. You may need to show hidden files, but should be able to go to .apps\surveillance\etc
  4. View the file called shadow, your password is there.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello decnal.

Welcome to the community!

What is the model number of your ReadyNAS unit?

Have you tried admin/netgear1 and admin/password?

Regards,

Message 2 of 16
decnal
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Thanks for your reply.

Model is 102

Yes I tried admin/netgear1 and admin/password after reinstalling the OS from the boot menu - no luck

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@decnal wrote:

Yes I tried admin/netgear1 and admin/password after reinstalling the OS from the boot menu - no luck

The default admin password of the RN102 would be "password".  If you did an OS reinstall, then only "password" would work for the admin ui. Was that ok?

But I think you are wanting to reset the Surveillance password - not the NAS password.  Is that correct? 

Message 4 of 16
decnal
Aspirant

Yes that is correct, reinstalling the OS did reset the password for the main admin ui to "password" but did not reset the password for the Serveillance ui.

I'm wondering if I will need to ssh to the RN102 and delete a particular file?

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I believe that Surveillance is supposed to use the NAS admin password.  You might need L3 support's help to resolve this.

Message 6 of 16
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi decnal,

There is a way but it is through SSH.

You may need to contact support center to get this fixed through the backend.

Regards,

Message 7 of 16
decnal
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

I suspected that the solution may require SSH.

I registered the ReadyNAS just after purchase about a year ago so the free support period no longer applies. I'm not sure I can justify paying for support.

I guess the alternative is to do a factory reset and restore settings and data from their respective backups - not a very elegant solution but should do the job

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@decnal wrote:

I registered the ReadyNAS just after purchase about a year ago so the free support period no longer applies. I'm not sure I can justify paying for support.

Given the high cost of surveillance licenses, I'd hope that support would fix this w/o charge.  I'd at least ask.

Message 9 of 16
decnal
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Is this something you could help me out with?  

I can only find a US phone number for support and calling on my mobile from Australia would be prohibitively expensive. 

Is there a support email address?

Message 10 of 16
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello decnal,

You may need to login at http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Regards,

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

https://my.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/mySupport.aspx lets you submit an on-line request.

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/contact-us/ has a phone number for the Australian Customer Support Centre

Message 12 of 16
decnal
Aspirant

Message 13 of 16
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

@StephenB wrote:

The default credentials are admin / password, but Surveillance uses a separate user database from the ReadyNAS.

@decnal wrote:

Shouldn't even need a call to support.

1. If you haven't changed the ReadyNAS admin user password (from the default password), you'll need to do that.
  2. Login to your volume's SMB share (default volume is data), like \\your_nas\data with the admin user.
  3. You may need to show hidden files, but should be able to go to .apps\surveillance\etc
  4. View the file called shadow, your password is there.
Message 14 of 16
decnal
Aspirant

sligna,

You're a legend!

Thank you very much

Message 15 of 16
Lucie20
Aspirant

Can you just run through logging into "your volumes SMB" I've had trouble with logging into the surveillance app.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements