× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Instruction on VPN for NAS

Yoda3647
Aspirant

Instruction on VPN for NAS

Yes can someone please give me step by step intruction on Installing and using a VPN on my NAS???

Message 1 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

"Using a VPN" has many connotations.  To start with, as a VPN client or server?  In what way do you intend to use the VPN?  And on which specific NAS do you want to install it?

Message 2 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

I have a Readynas 316 running Firmware 6.10.5 hotfix1. I have my Plex Server on it and Transmission installed not sure what other Apps would be good to have. I do have a Liftime account with VPN unlimited but do not know how I would put that on my NAS. I am trying to finish putting on my DVD collection(my data base https://cloud.collectorz.com/yoda3647/movies) but with over 1000 DVD's I find it easer to D/L  than to figure out how I would go about Learning how to Rip DVD in the Proper format for Plex to use and also getting the right software to do that

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

There are two very different purposes for a VPN.

1. Remote Access:  Allow you to access your NAS when you are away from home
  2. Privary Protection: Prevent your ISP from seeing your internet traffic

For (1) you'd be deploying your own VPN - generally either OpenVPN (usually in your router). or ZeroTier (usually on the NAS), and also including the VPN client for OpenVPN or ZeroTier on your mobile devices (including laptops)

For (2) you'd be connecting to a VPN provider - like Nord or VPN Unlimited.  While VPN Unlimited can be installed on Debian 10, unfortunately ReadyNAS OS-6 uses Debian 8.  So you can't install it on the ReadyNAS.

Message 4 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

I would settle for number 2 Privary Protection: Prevent your ISP from seeing your internet traffic for now and will worry about the other later

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda3647 wrote:

I would settle for number 2 Privary Protection: Prevent your ISP from seeing your internet traffic for now and will worry about the other later

Probably the easiest path is to install a VPN router.  https://www.vpnunlimited.com/help/manuals/vpn-routers

Message 6 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

how different is a Synology NAS from a ready nas?? on unlimited vpn webcite it has this:

https://www.vpnunlimited.com/help/manuals/synology-openvpn-setup

My Router is not listed aa a supported router. I have a Netgear AC1900 Model C6900. I purchased this Router becuase it was Garanteed to work with Xfinity, so even if I could put DD-wrk or Tomato on it would it still be garanteed to work with my internet pervider

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda3647 wrote:

how different is a Synology NAS from a ready nas?? on unlimited vpn webcite it has this:

I've never owned a Synology.  But my response on VPN Unlimited needing Debian 10 came from here: https://www.vpnunlimited.com/help/manuals/linux  And I know OS-6 uses Debian Jessie (which is Debian 8).

@Yoda3647 wrote:

My Router is not listed aa a supported router. I have a Netgear AC1900 Model C6900. I purchased this Router becuase it was Garanteed to work with Xfinity, so even if I could put DD-wrk or Tomato on it would it still be garanteed to work with my internet pervider

Not sure you could install it on the C6900.  It'd probably be better to configure the C6900 as a pass-through modem (which is definitely possible), and use a second router behind it as a VPN router.  The assumption here is that you'd want privacy on all your device connections, just not the NAS.

If the desire for privacy is specifically related to transmission, then you just run that on a PC with the VPN Unlimited client installed.

Message 8 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

I have my VPNunlimited on my PC but every now and then depending on wedcite I turn it off, so yes this would be for the NAS if possible plus if the NAS is doing it's thing it will not slow my PC down if I need to use it at the same time. Hey I gott a Idea would there be a way to use a 2nd Router on my Network and have it be a VPN router so whatever is hooked to it will be Hidden and everthing else is on there own?? My VPN acount can do up to 5 Devices so that covers My wife and I, so if a VPN router is easer then configuring the NAS with VPN then use a VPN Router just for the NAS????

Message 9 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

You should be able to install OpenVPN on your NAS using SSH then use the configuration information for it provided by VPNunlimited.

Since your 316 had two Ethernet ports, you could attach one directly to your home network and the other to a secondary VPN router if it doesn't pass through both VPN and non-VPN traffic.  This article may help you in setting up that secondary router: Setup-two-routers-with-dedicated-vpn-router .

But telling the NAS and any other device that's connected to this when to use the VPN and when to use the open connection is yet another issue.

Message 10 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

Okay how would I install OpenVPN on my NAS? never used SSH before I have mounted my NAS as drive "T" on my PC to install a Bundle file for Plex. Any and all help appreciated. If you could give me a Step by Step for installing OpenVPN or if one is already written a link to it. and thanks for all the help

Message 11 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

Okay how would I install OpenVPN on my NAS? never used SSH before I have mounted my NAS as drive "T" on my PC to install a Bundle file for Plex. Any and all help appreciated. If you could give me a Step by Step for installing OpenVPN or if one is already written a link to it. and thanks for all the help

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda3647 wrote:

Okay how would I install OpenVPN on my NAS? never used SSH before

I've never installed the OpenVPN client (which is what you would need) on my own ReadyNAS, so I'm not in a position to give you step-by-step instructions.

As @Sandshark mentioned, it's not enough to install the client.  You also need to set it up so that only the desired internet connections use it.  Otherwise you will lose local access to the NAS.  Again, not something I've needed to do, and folks here who have tried to route different applications through different networks have struggled getting that to work.

Message 13 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

Okay, I will do some reasearch if I find the answer will post here on tis thread

Message 14 of 16
Yoda3647
Aspirant

How about this...I turn off the Router function on my Nighthawk C6900 Modem/Router combo and purchase  NETGEAR - Nighthawk RAX45 AX4300 Wi-Fi 6 Router which has built in VPN support and hook that to the modem to use as my Router then I would have VPN for my NAS and everything else correct?? or do I still need to instal a VPN client on the NAS still ????

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda3647 wrote:

Nighthawk RAX45 AX4300 Wi-Fi 6 Router which has built in VPN support and hook that to the modem to use as my Router then I would have VPN for my NAS and everything else correct?? 

Look at chapter 10 here. https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX45/RAX45_UM_EN.pdf

Nighthawks include an OpenVPN server that gives you secure access to your home network when you are away from home. As we've tried to say before, that is very different from using a VPN to prevent your ISP from seeing your internet traffic.  The OpenVPN feature in the Nighthawk can't be used to connect to your vpnunlimited service.

There was a list of routers you could use here: https://www.vpnunlimited.com/help/manuals/vpn-routers  I haven't used any of them, so I have no recommendation on how they'd compare with your current router.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements