× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for success stories with Photos II

yoh-dah
Guide

Looking for success stories with Photos II

Hi Everyone,

ReadyNAS Photos II has been released and available for free as a premium NETGEAR add-on for our ReadyNAS users for 4 months now. And within that short timespan, you've shared over 2.2 million photos, and the rate is growing on a daily basis. If you think we're going in the right direction and like or love the service, I'd love to hear from you. PM me with your story!

Thanks, and keep the feedback coming!
😎
Message 1 of 11
nealjane
Aspirant

id take a No reply as not being very successful......

from an NV+ user who has no photos addon anymore - and no sign of any alternative coming soon......!!!
Message 2 of 11
ColonelPanik
Aspirant

--------
Message 3 of 11
martinsbootfair
Aspirant

Hi yoh-dah, I recently purchased a 2nd NAS, my original a Duo having run completely out of space. I now have a NAS pro 6( so my comments are based on this box) with 4 drives currently (another story). I had NO joy with ReadyNas Photos 1 on my Duo system, I think mainly due to my lack of experience setting up the box. I saw the demise of Photos 1 with disappointment but was glad to see ReadyNas Photos 2 released and with the new box decided to give it a try. Setup was only hampered by the all black background with the menu options fairly hidden, even on mouse-over. Once I found all the options and played with them I got it running fine. I sent off some tests to family members and after setting straight my email options I got back some very positive feedback.
Likes:- It's a lot faster to setup than 1 was. The email invitation and link works well. The caption option for the photo is very useful. The ability to setup an Album with multiple sub folders is really great. From the user perspective it takes only 2 or 3 seconds to initialise and from then on the slide shows run smooth and fast. Downloading is a doddle for them also (with you having great control over the options for this)
Dislikes:- as stated not too sure about the visability of the various menus when you are setting up the Albums. Better contrast colours for the menu font would cure this. Had a few issues with setting up "photographers" and had difficulty recinding admin privledge on the users. Mainly due to not understanding the terminology during setup. A lot of these sort of quibbles are just that, basically it works fine.
Rating I will reserve doing this until I have played with setting up links to the albums from within my website if possible.
All in all very happy with what I have seen so far, but I have only been playing with it for two weeks.
The comment about how to uninstall and reinstall the app, I did that twice while experimenting by use of the "remove" button in the setup panel and it then reappeared in the "available" list ready to re-install. Hardly rocket science. My advice for newbies who have problems is slow down, experiment, think your requirements through and make sure all the other bits are setup and tested before proceeding. (especially your email setup for alerts because if this doesn't work then Photos 2 won't either) I know because I have probably made all the same mistakes you have and will probably make more, but that's life. The comments from ColonelPanik are, in my opinion a tad harsh, especially wishing disaster on Netgear generally, but then I have had no mysql errors so my frustration level was mainly directed at my own mistakes.
Message 4 of 11
ColonelPanik
Aspirant

-----------
Message 5 of 11
martinsbootfair
Aspirant

Hi, I am sorry to see you have had so many issues. You seem to be a lot more conversant with what you are trying to do than me. After posting and then reading other problems on the site I stumbled across another issue which does make a big difference to my view. The realisation that with RP2 all the photos you add into your albums are not pointers but actual copies stored, Yes you guessed, on your own system in C.rnp2 !!!! This is just stupid. So you have your raid system, to keep a backup of your photo, then another copy on C which also has a backup as it's part of the same raid. That's 4 copies????? out of your volume allocation. I'm just waiting for someone to discover that each rendition in the RP2 for photo quality has a seperate copy as well.
I really just wish I was clever enough to understand how to do this on my own webspace. I am paying for commercial website hosting with unlimited storage which I know I under-utilise. When I tried to make my own web photo page I ran into issues with the permissions setup and access for "joe public" users where they got R/W by default which I didn't want and couldn't change. Seperate issue.
Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

nealjane wrote:
id take a No reply as not being very successful......

I guess you missed that he requested PMs (i.e. Private Messages not replies in this thread). Having said that making posts on the forum would be welcomed too.
ColonelPanik wrote:
Here's my success story. Install gave a mysql error and would never finish. After finding out how to uninstall an add-on through the forum (because there's no documentation)

There is documentation here: http://www.readynas.com/docs. Installing and removing add-ons is covered. You should have a link to the documentation in the Dashboard (web-interface of the Duo v2). As for doing it via SSH that's for advanced users but if you look at the SDK: http://www.readynas.com/sdk you should be able to pickup a fair bit about how the add-on install/remove process works.
ColonelPanik wrote:
I was able to uninstall and reinstall the app. Kinda worked after that. No music for slideshows, no uploads via email or ftp, no invites. Based on my Duo V2 experiences I think Netgear should go out of business. I like the hardware but everything else is substandard. That's 3 features of the Duo V2 that don't work right - No Memeo software, Buggy USB 3.0 drivers and Photos II with limited functionality. I think people are getting their Photos II problems solved though or they just stop posting.

Keep trying on the forum. Your Photos II issues should be resolvable as should getting the Memeo software. As for changes to the USB 3 drivers that would require an update to the firmware to be made and released.
Message 7 of 11
yoh-dah
Guide

This is a success story thread, not a bug reporting thread. I understand your frustration if things are not working for you, but complaining in the wrong thread's not going to help you.
Message 8 of 11
ColonelPanik
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
This is a success story thread, not a bug reporting thread. I understand your frustration if things are not working for you, but complaining in the wrong thread's not going to help you.

It's all how you look at it. Consider it a story of my limited success 😉 Sorry, not trying to flame at all. I can wipe the posts or you can delete them if you like.

martinsbootfair wrote:
Post by martinsbootfair » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 am
Hi, I am sorry to see you have had so many issues. You seem to be a lot more conversant with what you are trying to do than me. After posting and then reading other problems on the site I stumbled across another issue which does make a big difference to my view. The realisation that with RP2 all the photos you add into your albums are not pointers but actual copies stored, Yes you guessed, on your own system in C.rnp2 !!!! This is just stupid. So you have your raid system, to keep a backup of your photo, then another copy on C which also has a backup as it's part of the same raid. That's 4 copies????? out of your volume allocation. I'm just waiting for someone to discover that each rendition in the RP2 for photo quality has a seperate copy as well.
I really just wish I was clever enough to understand how to do this on my own webspace. I am paying for commercial website hosting with unlimited storage which I know I under-utilise. When I tried to make my own web photo page I ran into issues with the permissions setup and access for "joe public" users where they got R/W by default which I didn't want and couldn't change. Seperate issue.

Yeah I noticed that while reading through the subforum. While it isn't a great storage solution, it's good for users to share galleries temporarily with family or for limited consumption/participation. You're clever enough to do it on your own webspace. If you want to PM me I can set you up with some tutorials on installing WAMP or LAMP which is Windows or Linux + Apache(webserver) Mysql(database) and PHP(scripting) which is the basis of most websites and apps/scripts people use for creating photo galleries. There are 3 popular options Gallery, Coppermine and Zenphoto. My problems are based on how Netgear routes things through their services before forwarding them on to the ReadyNAS device so I'm just going to install one of those 3 I mentioned either on my Duo or another server.
When everything works well it is a great solution for some folks.
mdgm wrote:

ColonelPanik wrote:
Here's my success story. Install gave a mysql error and would never finish. After finding out how to uninstall an add-on through the forum (because there's no documentation)

There is documentation here: http://www.readynas.com/docs. Installing and removing add-ons is covered. You should have a link to the documentation in the Dashboard (web-interface of the Duo v2). As for doing it via SSH that's for advanced users but if you look at the SDK: http://www.readynas.com/sdk you should be able to pickup a fair bit about how the add-on install/remove process works.
ColonelPanik wrote:
I was able to uninstall and reinstall the app. Kinda worked after that. No music for slideshows, no uploads via email or ftp, no invites. Based on my Duo V2 experiences I think Netgear should go out of business. I like the hardware but everything else is substandard. That's 3 features of the Duo V2 that don't work right - No Memeo software, Buggy USB 3.0 drivers and Photos II with limited functionality. I think people are getting their Photos II problems solved though or they just stop posting.

Keep trying on the forum. Your Photos II issues should be resolvable as should getting the Memeo software. As for changes to the USB 3 drivers that would require an update to the firmware to be made and released.

Yeah I have all the standard docs since day one. Thanks for the sdk link that will be useful. Thanks to Yoh-Dah for creating it.
Standard add-in removal would not work with RNP2. I've tried it multiple times and every time I have to do it manually from the shell.
You've been a great help mdgm. But it's been 3 months and at least 5 trouble tickets and multiple forum threads/posts and the only help I received was a fellow user offering me an iso of his disc. Nobody at Netgear has tried to get me the Memeo software. I was going to call the CEO but decided not to waste anymore time on it. I know all about the USB 3 problem and a resolution again no followup from engineers. I would patch to the kernel myself if I could get the source code but that isn't happening.
Message 9 of 11
yoh-dah
Guide

For the Memeo software, take a look here: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/backup/w ... p_software
Message 10 of 11
devilsrear
Aspirant

Hi

I've been messing about with this and am pretty happy with how its working 🙂

I've ended up using this to only show specific photos.

Ideally I'd like these options in the next release:-

1. When you upload the photos - it would be good to get a preview (I bulk upload then delete - because its easy - however, seeing the pics on the upload selection would allow selective uploading. I could tidy them up before hand but I want a simple quick way rather than having to sort them prior)
2. A guide or tooltips - My viewers didn't have a clue on how to download the pics, comment or rate - would be good to have some sort of simple idiots guide for the viewers.
3. An option to set the number of seconds to display a picture on the slide show - way too quick at the moment
4. The option to disable sound on Slideshow playback

Other than that - loving this app 😄
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements