× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLEX & READYNAS 214 | Not seeing MacMini libraries?

cooley
Aspirant

PLEX & READYNAS 214 | Not seeing MacMini libraries?

Hi,

With PLEX finally up and running on the 214 I have started to rebuild my libraries. It's picking up all media located on the NAS fine, but I also have a couple of USB drives connected to my MacMini (on the same network) that contain media I would like to add to my PLEX library. For some reason it doesn't see the path to these drives?

I've tried manually typing in the path when adding a folder but no joy.

Previously PLEX sat on the MacMini and the library paths were as follows...

NAS - /data/media/Movies

MacMini - /Volumes/MEDIA_DRIVE_3/

Any ideas what I need to do to allow the Plex on the ReadyNAS to pickup media sitting on the MacMini drives?

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: PLEX & READYNAS 214 | Not seeing MacMini libraries?

@cooley wrote:

Hi,

Any ideas what I need to do to allow the Plex on the ReadyNAS to pickup media sitting on the MacMini drives?

I believe you'd need to share the folders on the macs, and then use ssh to mount those folders on a ReadyNAS mount point.

It might be easier to attach the USB drives to the RN214.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@cooley wrote:

Hi,

I believe you'd need to share the folders on the macs, and then use ssh to mount those folders on a ReadyNAS mount point.

It might be easier to attach the USB drives to the RN214.

Message 2 of 6
cooley
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I will likely go ahead and transfer the needed media to another drive and connect to the NAS. 

Out of interest though, would you happen to have a link to a guide that explains how to ssh and mount folders on a ReadyNAS mount point? If I run out of space this could be a temporary solution. 

Many Thanks

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@cooley wrote:

Out of interest though, would you happen to have a link to a guide that explains how to ssh and mount folders on a ReadyNAS mount point? If I run out of space this could be a temporary solution. 

I don't know of a good guide.  The basic concept is that you first have to share the media folders on the mac mini.  Then you'd mount those shares on the NAS.  The details depend on the protocol used for sharing on the mac end.  Sharing with NFS would require different commands on the NAS then sharing with SMB.  I'm not a mac user, so I can't help on the mac side of things.

mdgm could likely provide some more specifics.

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It'd be simpler to put more disks/higher capacity disks in the NAS imo.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

It'd be simpler to put more disks/higher capacity disks in the NAS imo.

Yes.  Ideally the NAS is sized to hold all your data.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements