× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem Uninstalling Apps after 6.2.1 Upgrade on RN312

ReadyJabba
Tutor

Problem Uninstalling Apps after 6.2.1 Upgrade on RN312

After installing latest 6.2.1 (over 6.2.1 RC3) on my RN312, I find a problem uninstalling some apps (htop, PHPMyadmin and ReadyNAS Photos II - not just 3rd party). The uninstall will proceed but eventually the web gui will lose connection and then be unable to get back - saying the device is offline. I would get an email saying "Failed to uninstall application 'xxxxx'." However one did uninstall ok - Python - maybe because it didnt have a web interface?

I can see the shares and other apps continue to work (ie Transmission, Sickbeard) but the dashboard is inaccessible. I can SSH in and reinstall the app that just failed uninstall - and this brings back Dashboard.

Perhaps the 6.2.1 enhancement #27 "Properly clean up the file system after failure of 3rd party app installation." is breaking something?
Message 1 of 9
Jack_A_Lope
Aspirant

I'm having a similar problem with my RN104. I recently had the system update to version 6.2.1.
Yesterday I loaded the app 'Contacts and Calendars Server', ran it once, then decided that it really wasn't what I wanted to use. I then went to uninstall it. That when the problem started. I got an e-mail that the app did not uninstall and the uninstall process never really completed. It kept getting disconnected.

Anyway, now I can't even get to the admin web page! I can still see the files on that I save on the system, but cannot access the user interface to control the system.

Unfortunately, I'm not Linux savvy enough to know how to get out of this issue. I sent an e-mail to the Netgear Support and they essentially responded with you can either pay us to look into the problem or see the forums. So here I am.

I'd be very interested in how you were able to get back to the user interface page if you or anyone else is able to provide it. Thanks so much to all in advance.
Message 2 of 9
ReadyJabba
Tutor

I had enabled SSH beforehand, so it was a matter of reinstalling the app I just tried to uninstall using;

# apt-get install "app name"
Message 3 of 9
Jack_A_Lope
Aspirant

Thanks ReadyJabba. I kind of figured that was going to be the answer. I guess once I'm back up I'll need to enable SSH.

I had posted to a couple of other places about this (on this forum) and OptimusPrime started a new thread for me from one of my posts. It is now at the one titled "UI offline after attempt uninstall app on 6.2.1". Don't know if that will help you. Thanks for your response.
Message 4 of 9
ReadyJabba
Tutor

Cheers, I see the other thread and the advice about fixing the apache2/sites-enabled link so all good.

Bad form to release a final version with such a disabling bug.
Message 5 of 9
texterted
Aspirant

Yeah, think of any poor user who hasn't enabled SSH, nice one Netgear!
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes the config file was left in that directory on Jack_A_Lope's system. I just removed it and restarted apache

# systemctl status apache2
# journalctl -a | grep apache2 | tail -n 20
# rm /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/090-baikal.conf
# systemctl start apache2
Message 7 of 9
Jack_A_Lope
Aspirant

😄 Thanks again mdgm! All seems right with the world at this moment. Thanks for the Christmas present! 😄
Message 8 of 9
cpu8088
Virtuoso

6.2.2 still has this problem

the uninstall of apps in my case phpsysinfo rendered loss of network connection and disabled the gui

had to do factory install and copy all files from backup

it is a pain
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements