× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 Disk space

pk19
Aspirant

RN214 Disk space

Probably a really dumb question but I have just got a RN214 and have installed 3 x 4TB (2 Seagate / 1 WD) and 1x3TB drive (Seagate) = 15TB. 

I've gone for Raid 0 as I needd maximum space. The RN214 is only offering me 10TB after the raid has been setup.

What gives? Never had this before on other NAS setups.

Advice please.

Thanks

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 Disk space

@pk19 wrote:

Probably a really dumb question but I have just got a RN214 and have installed 3 x 4TB (2 Seagate / 1 WD) and 1x3TB drive (Seagate) = 15TB. 

I've gone for Raid 0 as I needd maximum space. The RN214 is only offering me 10TB after the raid has been setup.

Can you download the log zip file, and post mdstat.log?  Best to copy/paste it into your reply (and use the </> tool above when you paste it.

My guess is that your RAID-0 array is 4x3TB (12 TB -> 10.9 TiB).  When you are using unequal sized disks, you need to create two RAID groups in flexraid, and then concatenate them into a single volume.

FWIW, my normal advice here is to use JBOD (1 volume per disk), and put some shares on each volume.  With your approach, you will lose the entire volume if any disk fails (or if you need to increase capacity).  If you use JBOD, you lose the data on the disk that fails (or the disk you need to increase), but the rest of the data remains intact.

Message 2 of 4
pk19
Aspirant

Cheers, yes the JBOD option would be perfect as that works well... just this model does not seem to have a JBOD option, just RAID.

I thought it was probably a disk size issue so thanks for confirming that.

I will keep tweaking.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

It definately has the JBOD option.  You just have to create them one at a time.  If you select multiple drives, you will not be offered that option.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements