× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replicate discontinued! What is the alternative for the RN104?

TonV
Aspirant

Replicate discontinued! What is the alternative for the RN104?

So Replicate will no longer work in 2018....

The proposed alternative, ReadyDR, seems great, but is not supported on the RN102/RN104's.

So my current setup where I 'replicate' from my RN104 to two RN102/RN104's will cease to work, with no alternative.

(two of those boxes are remote so regular backups are not possible).

Any suggestion on what to do?

RSYNC may be an option, but it is still not that easy to install the proper keys for this...

Your ideas are very much appreciated!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replicate discontinued! What is the alternative for the RN104?

@TonV wrote:

-For port forwarding on the remote router, connected to the remote RN104, is that port 22?

Yes

@TonV wrote:

-Is this considered to be a safe solution, RSYNC over SSH? (I've seen that I should limit the SSH user to RSYNC only ...

Yes if you follow the hint.

Also if you have ssh access enabled generally, then you should make sure you use a strong NAS admin password (since you don't want anyone to get root access to the NAS).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Rsync over SSH is an option.

Another is site to site VPN (though that is more complicated to setup than Rsync over SSH and depending what hardware you have may require additional hardware purchases).

Message 2 of 5
TonV
Aspirant

Thanks MDGM!

I have RSYNC over SSH working locally, but I'm a bit reluctant to use this over the public internet.

Two questions:

-For port forwarding on the remote router, connected to the remote RN104, is that port 22?

-Is this considered to be a safe solution, RSYNC over SSH? (I've seen that I should limit the SSH user to RSYNC only, but any other hints?)

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@TonV wrote:

Yes

@TonV wrote:

-Is this considered to be a safe solution, RSYNC over SSH? (I've seen that I should limit the SSH user to RSYNC only ...

Yes if you follow the hint.

Also if you have ssh access enabled generally, then you should make sure you use a strong NAS admin password (since you don't want anyone to get root access to the NAS).

Message 4 of 5
TonV
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

I've now got some of my Replicate jobs moved to RSYNC over SSH, working fine and I actually managed to do so using the existing data on the target node.

The folder structure that Replicate makes is rather curious, so I moved the latest backup to a new location on my backup RN104 and started to RSYNC to that. It does require a 'Reset Permissions' in to enable the new RSYNC user to make changes to it.

So I've lost my 'history', but it saves me shipping multiple TB's (again) over a slow ADSL line... 

cheers!

Tonv

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements