× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Running VirtualBox VM host on ReadyNAS Pro

jmalmlund
Aspirant

WhoCares? wrote:
jmalmlund wrote:
Edit: It seems Netgear has made some mistake or I'm just tired... the new GPL source supplied contains kernel version 2.6.37.5.RNx86_64.2.2 but the kernel that's included in 4.2.16 is version 2.6.37.5.RNx86_64.2.1

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. The GPL sources I'm using contain a kernel that identifies itself as "2.6.37.5.RNx86_64.2.1" - as can be checked by
cd linux-2.6.37.5/arch/x86/configs
grep "RNx86" *

Should list defconfig.smp with a CONFIG_LOCALVERSION string of ".RNx86_64.2.1"

Well, just like you said Stefan, it was the second alternative that turned out to be correct, I was tired (and running a fever) and clearly not paying enough attention to what I was doing. Thank you for pointing that out to me 😉

When I started out working with *nix systems a friend of mine helped me and gave me a script that I've kept around , it's purpose was to make a diff between two kernel sources and transfer manual changes from the old source tree to the new one's config. A nice help back then before I learnt how to configure the kernel I needed for the computer I had, but not very foolproof I've now learnt... because I hadn't copied /arch/x86/configs/defconfig.smp to .config it took my entire .config file from the 4.2.15 source and basically copied that into the 4.2.16 source tree... now you might remember that the kernel in 4.2.15 was CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=".RNx86_64.2.2" and THAT'S what I saw and noticed that it didn't match `uname -r` ...

So this is to all I've might have offended by saying that the Netgear guys had messed up, Please forgive my mistake! :oops: :oops:

The good news is that since I started over with a fresh source doing all my changes manually I've now got all needed bits and pieces up and running and my VirtualBox servers are back up. Still running a slight fever so I'm going to hit the sack again (already slept most of the day) and unless someone else beats me to it I'll try and write an short how-to on installing/updating all that's needed to get VirtualBox up-to-date and running on 4.2.16.

Once again, thank you Stefan for :slap: you gave me, guess I needed it :roll: :lol:
Message 276 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

Miniguide on installing/upgrading VirtualBox on RAIDiator 4.2.16.

Section 1 for new installations,

apt-get update
apt-get install build-essential amd64-libs lib64stdc++6 bzip2 lib64z1 lzma
apt-get --reinstall install libc6-amd64

Section 1 for upgrades,

apt-get update
apt-get -f install

Section 2 for both new installs and upgrades.

mkdir /c/VirtualBox
cd /c/VirtualBox
wget -q http://www.readynas.com/download/GPL/RNDP6xxx_4.2.16_WW_src.zip
unzip -q RNDP6xxx_4.2.16_WW_src.zip "linux-2.6.37.5/*"
ln -snf `pwd`/linux-2.6.37.5 /usr/src/linux
cd linux-2.6.37.5
cp arch/x86/configs/defconfig.smp .config
make ARCH=x86_64 silentoldconfig
make prepare
make modules_prepare
make
make modules

cd ..
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.4/VirtualBox-4.0.4-70112-Linux_amd64.run
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.4/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack
chmod 755 VirtualBox-4.0.4-70112-Linux_amd64.run

Section 3, optional for upgraders, not relevant for new installs.
IF upgraders want to start clean with the install insert this command now to uninstall previous lingering VirtualBox components.

./VirtualBox-4.0.4-70112-Linux_amd64.run uninstall

Section 4, install.

./VirtualBox-4.0.4-70112-Linux_amd64.run
/usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack

Note that it's the extpack that contains the RDP module...

Instructions on how to install/create/configure/start VM's might be added later if needed.

Edit: Fixed wrong parameter on uninstall command.
Edit 2: Added two lines to create a work-directory, "VirtualBox" on your data volume "c" to avoid filling the root filesystem (when logging in as root the default directory is /root/ which resides on the small 4GB system partition).
Also added a few "extra" make commands after Sebastien and I found that they were needed on his ReadyNAS to successfully build the VBox kernel modules, I didn't need them but since they don't hurt in any way (just takes a tad bit longer to complete the kernel preparations) I include them in the guide as a precaution.
Message 277 of 442
WhoCares_
Mentor

Nice guide. Thanks.

-Stefan
Message 278 of 442
Gurutek
Aspirant

Fantastic guide!

Would love to see instructions on how to install/create/configure/start VM's within this environment (I'm both a VB and linux noob).

- Robbie
Message 279 of 442
Sebastien1
Aspirant

Hello,

First, thank you for your instructions. VirtualBox works very well on RAIDiator 4.2.15 but since the update, and despite your guide, I can no longer start it.

ChildNemesis:~# /usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (2.6.37.5.RNx86_64.2.1) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/root/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack": Extension pack 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is already installed. In case of a reinstallation, please uninstall it first

ChildNemesis:~# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS ...failed!
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

Would you have an idea of what to do?
Message 280 of 442
leak
Aspirant

Sebastien wrote:
Hello,

VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/root/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack": Extension pack 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is already installed. In case of a reinstallation, please uninstall it first

ChildNemesis:~# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Would you have an idea of what to do?

Havin the same problem. vbox-install.log
t0wnz:~# cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
Makefile:167: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Message 281 of 442
Sebastien1
Aspirant

Ok, with the command "make modules_prepare" you can come to have this:

ChildNemesis:~# sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox kernel module ...done.
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)
Message 282 of 442
TeknoJnky
Hero

I get this on my ultra 4, I'm using /c/.vbox as the working directory, not sure if that makes a difference

frodo:/c/.vbox# /usr/bin/VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (2.6.37.5.RNx86_64.2.1) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
0%...
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/c/.vbox/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack": Extension pack 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is already installed. In case of a reinstallation, please uninstall it first
frodo:/c/.vbox# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
frodo:/c/.vbox# cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
Makefile:170: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -C /usr/src/linux modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*

WARNING: Symbol version dump /c/.vbox/linux-2.6.37.5/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/include -I/c/.vbox/linux-2.6.37.5/arch/x86/include -Iinclude -include include/generated/autoconf.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/.tmp_SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
/bin/sh: scripts/genksyms/genksyms: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2
frodo:/c/.vbox#
Message 283 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

Quick update.. heading to bed..

Been working with Sebastien over msn tonight to get this sorted and we've eliminated some potential issues but it's still to early for me to tell when we might have a universal solution. 😐 😞
Results using my guide seems vary, so for now, please be aware that upgrades may or may not work!
Message 284 of 442
Sebastien1
Aspirant

Ok, so for me the solution was:

ChildNemesis:~# cd /usr/src/linux/
ChildNemesis:/usr/src/linux# make
ChildNemesis:~# ./VirtualBox-4.0.4-70112-Linux_amd64.run
ChildNemesis:~# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start

A very big thank you to jmalmlund.
Message 285 of 442
leak
Aspirant

Sebastien wrote:
Ok, so for me the solution was:

ChildNemesis:~# cd /usr/src/linux/
ChildNemesis:/usr/src/linux# make
ChildNemesis:~# ./VirtualBox-4.0.4-70112-Linux_amd64.run
ChildNemesis:~# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start

A very big thank you to jmalmlund.

argh! Did almost this before, just forgot to run vb-4.0.4!

Works great now tho, so thanks!
Message 286 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

Updated the guide to include these latest findings.
Message 287 of 442
TeknoJnky
Hero

tried the updated guide,

dmsg:
vboxdrv: no symbol version for module_layout
Message 288 of 442
lchapuis
Aspirant

virtualbox 4.0.6 out : http://bit.ly/fYZn66

and works J

nice guide jmalmlund ! 😉
Message 289 of 442
jmalmlund
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:
tried the updated guide,

dmsg:
vboxdrv: no symbol version for module_layout

What's your status on this now? Have you worked it out?
If not, could you help me help you, please give some more details on your system, what model NAS do you have, what RAIDiator version is it running and so on.
Also check your kernel source directory, does the file "Module.symvers" exist? The dmsg output that you included is known to happen if that file's not found.
Message 290 of 442
Gurutek
Aspirant

Hi Gents

Firstly - Thanks for the guide - I'm busy running through the Virtualbox installation now!

Secondly, Apologise if I'm asking some stupid questions here (I'm new to Linux and VirtualBox).

Can I confirm that the only way to manage Virtualbox on the NAS is via the CLi? The reason that I ask it that VMWare Esxi (That with which I am familiar), uses a Windows application to connect to and manage the VMWare enviroment, only the basic setup is done in the console.

If CLi is the only option, are these instructions adequate to get me going:
http://cheznick.net/main/content/creating-a-virtual-machine-using-the-virtualbox-cli

Thanks in advance!
Message 291 of 442
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like you want to try http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44145

Search the forum for tips on how best to use it.
Message 292 of 442
Gurutek
Aspirant

Thanks - Trying it now, not as easy as one would think............
Message 293 of 442
Gurutek
Aspirant

OK - I think I have Virtualbox successfully installed and running..

I'm trying to get PHPVirtualbox running so I can manage the VM environment. I've searched the forum but cannot find the answer to these two questions:

The addon requires that you have one vm running - Catch 22 here, as I was going to use phpvboxmgr to create one..... Is CLi the only option?
What does verifying the config do? What should it look like? Mine looks like this:

86400, // "never" changes 'getGuestOSTypes' => 86400, 'getSystemProperties' => 86400, 'getInternalNetworks' => 86400, 'getMediums' => 600, 'getVMs' => 2, '__getMachine' => 7200, '__getNetworkAdapters' => 7200, '__getStorageControllers' => 7200, '__getSharedFolders' => 7200, '__getUSBController' => 7200, ); */ }

Is that right?

Thanks for the help!!!!
Message 294 of 442
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I haven't used VirtualBox on the ReadyNAS, but I think you'd need to create your first VM using the CLI (thereafter you should hopefully be able to use the GUI). As for getting VirtualBox to automatically start on each boot, I think there's instructions somewhere (maybe in this thread).
Message 295 of 442
Xaver
Tutor

Hi,
well I'm also new with running the VBox on a Linux Host but this is how i did it (after a lot try and error):

if did the Installation like here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26468&p=296922#p296922

first thing is to change the default machine folder of VBox, it is "~/VirtualBox VMs" otherwise VBox is saving the snapshot there:

VBoxManage setproperty machinefolder "/c/VirtualBox"
than we can start create the vm
the link you have posted is using an old syntax for Vbox 3.x I guess

cd /c/VirtualBox
VBoxManage createvm --name "Kubuntu" --ostype Ubuntu --register
VBoxManage modifyvm "Kubuntu" --memory 1024 --acpi on --boot1 dvd --boot2 disk --boot3 none --nic1 nat
VBoxManage modifyvm "Kubuntu" --pae off --nestedpaging off --vtxvpid off --hwvirtex off --hwvirtexexcl off --ioapic off
VBoxManage modifyvm "Kubuntu" --vram 32 --usb off --usbehci off
VBoxManage createhd --filename "Kubuntu.vdi" --size 10000
VBoxManage storagectl "Kubuntu" --name "IDE Controller" --add ide --controller PIIX4
VBoxManage storageattach "Kubuntu" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "Kubuntu.vdi"
VBoxManage storageattach "Kubuntu" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium kubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso
last line only work if the ISO file is in the default machine folder, otherwise use absolute path (e.x. "/c/media/ISO/kubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso")

starting the VM with

VBoxHeadless -startvm "Kubuntu" &
now connect with your rdp client (I use Win7 so) "windows key + R" than enter "mstsc.exe IP-of-your-nas"

after Installation of the Guest system we install the VBox Guest Add-on (much better performance with VRDP) on the Readynas

VBoxManage storageattach "Kubuntu" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium /opt/VirtualBox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
in guest system run console

sudo su
apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic
cd /media/VBOXADDITIONS_4.0.6_71344
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
init 6

Port forwarding for Torrent client inside the VM
on the Readynas enter

VBoxManage modifyvm "Kubuntu" --natpf1 "torrent,tcp,,44110,,44110"

Sharedfolders:

on the Readynas

VBoxManage sharedfolder add "Kubuntu" --name media --hostpath /c/media --readonly
VBoxManage sharedfolder add "Kubuntu" --name archiv --hostpath /c/archiv --readonly
VBoxManage sharedfolder add "Kubuntu" --name backup --hostpath /c/backup --readonly
VBoxManage sharedfolder add "Kubuntu" --name transfer-a --hostpath /c/archiv/Transfer
VBoxManage sharedfolder add "Kubuntu" --name transfer-m --hostpath /c/media/Transfer
VBoxManage sharedfolder add "Kubuntu" --name torrent --hostpath /c/media/Torrent
make sure chmod 0777 is set for folders you want to write in.

in the guest system edit the "/etc/fstab" file and add these lines at the end, so it will automount the sharedfolders on boot

archiv /home/xaver/readynas/archiv vboxsf defaults 0 0
media /home/xaver/readynas/media vboxsf defaults 0 0
for all folder you want to automount

eject guest add-on iso file
on the Readynas

VBoxManage storageattach "Kubuntu" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium emptydrive

finally we print a summery in a txt file:

VBoxManage showvminfo Kubuntu > Kubuntu.txt
my file look like this:

Name: Kubuntu
Guest OS: Ubuntu
UUID: 3fe68c7e-341d-45ad-8cbb-1ef0d9ee3f2c
Config file: /c/VM/VirtualBox VMs/Kubuntu/Kubuntu.vbox
Snapshot folder: /c/VM/VirtualBox VMs/snapshot
Log folder: /c/VM/VirtualBox VMs/Kubuntu/Logs
Hardware UUID: 3fe68c7e-341d-45ad-8cbb-1ef0d9ee3f2c
Memory size: 1024MB
Page Fusion: off
VRAM size: 32MB
HPET: off
Chipset: piix3
Firmware: BIOS
Number of CPUs: 1
Synthetic Cpu: off
CPUID overrides: None
Boot menu mode: message and menu
Boot Device (1): DVD
Boot Device (2): HardDisk
Boot Device (3): Not Assigned
Boot Device (4): Not Assigned
ACPI: on
IOAPIC: off
PAE: off
Time offset: 0 ms
RTC: local time
Hardw. virt.ext: off
Hardw. virt.ext exclusive: off
Nested Paging: off
Large Pages: off
VT-x VPID: off
State: running (since 2011-05-12T20:03:29.459000000)
Monitor count: 1
3D Acceleration: off
2D Video Acceleration: off
Teleporter Enabled: off
Teleporter Port: 0
Teleporter Address:
Teleporter Password:
Storage Controller Name (0): IDE Controller
Storage Controller Type (0): PIIX4
Storage Controller Instance Number (0): 0
Storage Controller Max Port Count (0): 2
Storage Controller Port Count (0): 2
Storage Controller Bootable (0): on
IDE Controller (0, 0): /c/VM/Kubuntu.vdi (UUID: cb3e9d18-64e7-41b3-b725-ef648ccd8b12)
IDE Controller (0, 1): Empty
NIC 1: MAC: 08002733AF29, Attachment: NAT, Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0
NIC 1 Settings: MTU: 0, Socket( send: 64, receive: 64), TCP Window( send:64, receive: 64)
NIC 1 Rule(0): name = torrent, protocol = tcp, host ip = , host port = 44110, guest ip = , guest port = 44110
NIC 2: disabled
NIC 3: disabled
NIC 4: disabled
NIC 5: disabled
NIC 6: disabled
NIC 7: disabled
NIC 8: disabled
Pointing Device: PS/2 Mouse
Keyboard Device: PS/2 Keyboard
UART 1: disabled
UART 2: disabled
Audio: disabled
Clipboard Mode: Bidirectional
Video mode: 1920x1200x32
VRDE: enabled (Address 0.0.0.0, Ports , MultiConn: off, ReuseSingleConn: off, Authentication type: null)
VRDE port: 3389
Video redirection: disabled
VRDE property: TCP/Ports = <not set>
VRDE property: TCP/Address = <not set>
VRDE property: VideoChannel/Enabled = <not set>
VRDE property: VideoChannel/Quality = <not set>
VRDE property: Client/DisableDisplay = <not set>
VRDE property: Client/DisableInput = <not set>
VRDE property: Client/DisableAudio = <not set>
VRDE property: Client/DisableUSB = <not set>
VRDE property: Client/DisableClipboard = <not set>
VRDE property: Client/DisableUpstreamAudio = <not set>
USB: disabled

USB Device Filters:

Index: 0
Active: yes
Name: remoteUSB
VendorId:
ProductId:
Revision:
Manufacturer:
Product:
Remote: yes
Serial Number:

Available remote USB devices:

<none>

Currently Attached USB Devices:

<none>

Shared folders:

Name: 'media', Host path: '/c/media' (machine mapping), readonly
Name: 'archiv', Host path: '/c/archiv' (machine mapping), readonly
Name: 'backup', Host path: '/c/backup' (machine mapping), readonly
Name: 'transfer-a', Host path: '/c/archiv/Transfer' (machine mapping), writable
Name: 'transfer-m', Host path: '/c/media/Transfer' (machine mapping), writable
Name: 'torrent', Host path: '/c/media/Torrent' (machine mapping), writable

VRDE Connection: not active
Clients so far: 8
Last started: 2011/05/14 13:59:14 UTC
Last ended: 2011/05/14 14:05:14 UTC
Sent: 0 Bytes
Average speed: 0 B/s
Sent total: 0 Bytes
Received: 0 Bytes
Speed: 0 B/s
Received total: 0 Bytes

Guest:

OS type: Linux26
Additions run level: 2
Configured memory balloon size: 0 MB

ok hope you can use some of this.

if someone has ideas which flag should be turned on to improve the performance of the VM please let me know

VBoxManage modifyvm "Kubuntu" --pae off --nestedpaging off --vtxvpid off --hwvirtex off --hwvirtexexcl off --ioapic off
VBoxManage modifyvm "Kubuntu" --vram 32 --usb off --usbehci off
I'm not sure if these really needed but the Pro Pionner has not a CPU with VTX or things like these and VBox turned on these flags on default i guess

edit:
here is a deamon script for the nas so it will save the VM when the NAS will restart or shutdown and auto launch it on powerup:

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: vboxheadless
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
### END INIT INFO
#
# vboxheadless This init.d script is used to start and Stop VM'S.
#
VBOXNAME="Kubuntu"

VBOXHEADLESS=/usr/bin/VBoxHeadless
VBOXMANAGE=/usr/bin/VBoxManage

test -f $VBOXHEADLESS || exit 0
test -f $VBOXMANAGE || exit 0

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

case "$1" in
start) log_daemon_msg "Starting virtual machine" "$VBOXNAME"
sudo -H -u root $VBOXHEADLESS -startvm $VBOXNAME &
sleep 1
log_end_msg $?
exit 0
;;
stop) log_daemon_msg "Stopping virtual machine" "$VBOXNAME"
sudo -H -u root $VBOXMANAGE -nologo controlvm $VBOXNAME savestate
log_end_msg $?
exit 0
;;
reset) log_daemon_msg "Resetting virtual machine" "$VBOXNAME"
sudo -H -u root $VBOXMANAGE -nologo controlvm $VBOXNAME reset
log_end_msg $?
exit 0
;;
poweroff) log_daemon_msg "Switching off virtual machine" "$VBOXNAME"
sudo -H -u root $VBOXMANAGE -nologo controlvm $VBOXNAME poweroff
log_end_msg $?
exit 0
;;
acpioff) log_daemon_msg "Sending ACPI-off to virtual machine" "$VBOXNAME"
sudo -H -u root $VBOXMANAGE -nologo controlvm $VBOXNAME acpipowerbutton
log_end_msg $?
exit 0
;;
esac
echo No valid option found. Valid options are: start, stop, reset, poweroff, acpioff
exit 0
put this code in a file in "/etc/init.d/"

vi /etc/init.d/vboxheadlessdeamon
make it executable and link it with runlevel 2, 0 and 6

chmod a+x /etc/init.d/vboxheadlessdeamon
ln -s /etc/init.d/vboxheadlessdeamon /etc/rc2.d/S99vboxheadlessdeamon
ln -s /etc/init.d/vboxheadlessdeamon /etc/rc0.d/K99vboxheadlessdeamon
ln -s /etc/init.d/vboxheadlessdeamon /etc/rc6.d/K99vboxheadlessdeamon
from now on you can start your VM also with

/etc/init.d/vboxheadlessdeamon start

the only know issue is that
log_daemon_msg "Starting virtual machine" "$VBOXNAME"
wont work, well it does not make an error or something but it also wont be displayed in the logs (messages, syslog, system, deamon or dmesg) maybe a netgear thing.
could somebody please tell me which command I could use so it will be displayed in the deamon.log or in frontview in the protocol tab or both?
Message 296 of 442
Gurutek
Aspirant

Wow - excellent tutorial there. Thanks, for the time and effort Xaver - I'll be sure to give this a go when I get home!
Message 297 of 442
horim80
Guide

VB 4.0.8 is out and working good on RAIDiator 4.2.17 😄
Message 298 of 442
b2thet
Aspirant

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x32 as the guest and for the life of me I can not get Windows 7 to detect a NIC card. Does anyone have any suggestions? Other thank that, it is working great!

I am running VBOX 4.0.4 on a Pro 6 4gb ram
Message 299 of 442
lchapuis
Aspirant

hello,

try to specify a nic type like this :

VBoxManage modifyvm "your_vm_name" --nictype1 82540EM --nic1 bridged

from manual (ch06)

Virtual networking hardware
For each card, you can individually select what kind of hardware will be presented to the virtual machine. VirtualBox can virtualize the following six types of networking hardware:

AMD PCNet PCI II (Am79C970A);

AMD PCNet FAST III (Am79C973, the default);

Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM);

Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC);

Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM);

Paravirtualized network adapter (virtio-net).
Message 300 of 442
Top Contributors
Announcements