× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Settings seem to be being lost.

DavidHilton
Aspirant

Settings seem to be being lost.

I have successfully updated the FW to 4.1.16, after a OS reinstall.(Wanting to bring my server right up to date)

Network Settings

IPv4

IP 192.168.1.58 static.

Subnet 255.255.255.0

100Mb Full Duplex

MTU 1500

Global

Def Gateway 192.168.1.1

Domain name server 8.8.8.8 (Worked better than 192.168.1.1)

No other boxes used

There are 3 shares, visible from windows explorer along with all sub directories and files. All good.

Word excel open the docs AOK

Works fine for moving files around,

however

1.....when I attempt to connect iTines to its relevant share, the share is not visible.

2     when attempting to play mp4 files, (Windows Movie Player) they fail  0xc00d36c4 This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt, sometimes I get error message cant find the file or file is missing.  Also on Real Player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.However the same file plays perfectly from the C: of the PC I am using in both programmes.

3    Then after I have tried most of the above, even Windows explorer is not able to access the shars, even though they are seen

Model: ReadyNASRND4420|ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB (4 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Settings seem to be being lost.

Is this a Windows PC?  What version of Windows are you using?

Message 2 of 9
DavidHilton
Aspirant

Windows 10

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

When you are playing media, are you using DLNA?

Also, can can you go into "turn windows features on or off" and make sure the SMB v1 client is enabled on the PC?

Message 4 of 9
DavidHilton
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

How can I tell if I am using DLNA?

I now have SMC v1 disabled due to serious security issues, however at the time I posted my message, it was partially active.

Are these going to be needed, moving forward? I now am worrying about security 

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@DavidHilton wrote:

I now have SMB v1 disabled due to serious security issues, however at the time I posted my message, it was partially active.

Are these going to be needed, moving forward? I now am worrying about security 

But SMB v1 is required to access your old NAS - it's the only version of SMB that it supports.  So if you don't use it, you will need to replace it with an OS-6 NAS like the RN212 (which supports the current SMB v3).  You could then use the Duo to back up the RN212 (using rsync, and turning SMB off in the Duo).

Personally I don't see a lot of risk in using SMB v1 on a home network - particularly if you save the NAS account credentials in your PCs.  But there's more than one view on that.  

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@DavidHilton wrote:

I now have SMC v1 disabled due to serious security issues, ... I now am worrying about security 

The SMB 1.0 implementations on both WIndows and SAMBA had some security vulnerabilities in the past - all were addressed by Microsoft resp. the SAMBA team virtually in days back then already. Most noise you are reading on the net is coming from these days.  

As Microsoft has no need for it anymore in a plain and current Microsoft networking environment, SMB 1.0 became an optional component with the Windows features.

Of course you could argue that SMB 1.0 does not support advanced security features like packet signing or packet encryption. Trouble is that your NAS does only support NetBIOS discovery and name resolution and SMB 1.0 transport. Therefore, there is not much wrong with continuing the SMB 1.0 operations as long as legacy application and storage systems still require it. 

Message 7 of 9
DavidHilton
Aspirant

Model actually is ReadyNAS NV+

Continuing the conversation. I decided to reinstall SMB 1 on my win 10 laptop, as after discussion with my IT guru, he said the security for my use at home was not really an issue

So now I have the same problem as prior to uninstalling SMB 1, namely that the drives are recognised, and work well,  at first boot up of the ReadyNAS, but after a while the red crosses appear in the drives and I am not able to gain access.

To resolve all of this, I am thinking of buying a brand new RAID with latest everything on it, and migrating my data across, backing it up first of course. It would be better if I could continue using the existing HDD's in the new RAID. Any ideas?

Model: ReadySHARE USB Storage Access|Convert USB storage into network storage
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@DavidHilton wrote:

So now I have the same problem as prior to uninstalling SMB 1, namely that the drives are recognised, and work well,  at first boot up of the ReadyNAS, but after a while the red crosses appear in the drives and I am not able to gain access.

To resolve all of this, I am thinking of buying a brand new RAID with latest everything on it, and migrating my data across, backing it up first of course. It would be better if I could continue using the existing HDD's in the new RAID. 

If the drives are old, I suggest using new drives for the new system. Have you confirmed that the existing hard drives are healthy?  A good way to test them is to connect them to the PC (a USB adapter or dock will work), and test them with the vendor tools - seatools (for seagate) and lifeguard (for western digital).

I am wondering where you are seeing the "red crosses".  Are you seeing errors in the NAS admin web ui?  Have you downloaded the log zip file, and looked for issues?

@DavidHilton wrote:

Any ideas?

The NAS is old, and slow by current standards.  A new entry-level NAS will be ~5x faster, and would have more features.  The ReadyNAS RN214 and the RN424 are reasonable options.

Direct migration of the data to a new NAS isn't possible.  Your platform was specialized, and the disks can't be directly migrated to a new platform.  They can be temporarily mounted in a new ReadyNAS (with the help of paid support), which would allow the data to be off-loaded.  But if your NAS is still functioning, it's more direct to back it up yourself.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements