× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Showing existing photos on NAS in Photos II

zmalex
Aspirant

Showing existing photos on NAS in Photos II

I have a huge collection of photos on the NAS. How do I make them appear in Photos II? The only way of adding pictures I found was to add them through the browser interface.
Message 1 of 12
zmalex
Aspirant

Since no one answered I will try to rephrase myself.

How do I import images which are on my NAS into Photos II?

Is it possible? Will they be moved to a new location?
Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Go to https://ip.addres.of.nas/READYNAS_PHOTOS_II/rnp2config.html

Then go to the Photographer Menu tab and then select "Prepare to import from this ReadyNAS"
Message 3 of 12
zmalex
Aspirant

Thanks. I can swear that this tab was not available before. Could it be that it appears after initial setup of the plugin?
Message 4 of 12
zmalex
Aspirant

What exactly is done when importing? I hope the images are not duplicated.
Message 5 of 12
adb1
Aspirant

zmalex wrote:

They are duplicated several times. Various different sizes including a copy of the original. Be warned, the import process is very slow, approx 5 seconds per photos, regardless of the image size.
Message 6 of 12
zmalex
Aspirant

adb wrote:
zmalex wrote:

They are duplicated several times. Various different sizes including a copy of the original. Be warned, the import process is very slow, approx 5 seconds per photos, regardless of the image size.

Wow. Utter crap if you ask me. Uninstalling.
Message 7 of 12
kjsimo
Aspirant

Are the photos duplicated multiple time on the ReadyNAS or in the cloud somewhere?
Message 8 of 12
adb1
Aspirant

kjsimo wrote:
Are the photos duplicated multiple time on the ReadyNAS or in the cloud somewhere?

On the ReadNAS in /c/.RNP2/user
Message 9 of 12
Dinger928
Aspirant

Can anyone clarify that the photos that are uploaded are duplicated on the nas, even though the photos one would use currently already reside on the NAS?

So if one had 20GB of photos already in a share on the NAS, the NAS duplicates this in another folder thus resulting in 40GB of space used?
Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure about the amount of space used but yes as mentioned the photos are stored with the hidden ".RNP2" folder on your data volume "C". The files are not stored in the cloud.
Message 11 of 12
yoh-dah
Guide

Dinger928 wrote:
So if one had 20GB of photos already in a share on the NAS, the NAS duplicates this in another folder thus resulting in 40GB of space used?

This depends on if you want to share all of your 20GB of photos. Typically folks will pick and choose what they want to share and what resolution they want to share -- you may not want to share the full resolution of a photo and may want to export your photos to lower-res. I down-res my photos to 1920x1080 for a nice HD view and 4x6 prints unless I want someone to have the explicit ability to download higher-res. This reduces my photo size from 25MB down to about 500K. Add about 300K on average for various smaller res files that are used for thumbnail, cover-flow, etc, and you can figure out how much space each photo will take. So in my example, my 25MB photo turns to about 800K.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements